|Written by||Gosho Aoyama|
|Magazine||Weekly Shōnen Sunday|
|Original run||January 19, 1994 – present|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Kenji Kodama (#1–118)|
Yasuichiro Yamamoto (#119–332, #667–currently)
Masato Satō (#333–504)
Kōjin Ochi (#505–666)
|Produced by||Michihiko Suwa|
|Written by||Jun'ichi Ii'oka (story editor)|
|Music by||Katsuo Ono|
|Original network||NNS (ytv)|
|Original run||January 8, 1996 – present|
|Detective Conan: Zero's Tea Time|
|Written by||Takahiro Arai|
|Magazine||Weekly Shōnen Sunday|
|Original run||May 9, 2018 – present|
Detective Conan (名探偵コナン, Meitantei Konan), also known as Case Closed is a crime manga series. This comic is written by Gosho Aoyama. The series began in 1994. The manga series has been made into an anime television show. It has been on the air from 1996 to the present time.
Detective Conan is about a teenage detective named Shinichi Kudo, who is poisoned by an evil group called "The Black Organization". The poison was supposed to kill him. However, the poison instead turned him into a small child. Shinichi adopts a new identity as "Conan Edogawa", and lives with his girlfriend, Ran Mouri, and her father, Detective Kogoro Mori, under the pretense that his parents are away and unable to take care of him. As a child, Shinichi/Conan helps Kogorou solve murder cases, while trying to find the evil men who poisoned him, to steal the poison and create an antidote.
When Detective Conan first arrived in the United States, the name was changed to Case Closed in English for legal reasons that were never specified. Some of the character names were be changed as well. Shinichi had his first name changed to Jimmy. Ran Mori became Rachel Moore, while her father became Richard. Hiroshi had his first name changed to Hershel. Heiji Hattori became Harley Hartwell. Sonoko Suzuki became Serena Sebastian. Ai Haibara became Anita Hailey. However, Conan kept his Japanese name in English.
Outline[change | change source]
This is the reasoning comics describing a high school student detective solving many incidents. His name is Shinichi Kudo. The 17 year old changed to a small child's body because of poison by the Black Organization. The Black organization is an international crime organization and its main activity is assassination, trading, and inventing new drugs. The code names of the members are usually named after liquors. For example, Gin, Vodka, and Vermouth. Ai Haibara, who invented the drug Shinichi took, was a member of this organization but when she was locked in handcuffs, she took the same drug Shinichi took, and became a six year-old girl and escaped from them. Her old code name was Sherry.
Gadgets[change | change source]
- Detective Conan has huge glasses with non-vision-correcting lenses. The glasses have many functions: radar, thermography, telescope, listening microphone, directional microphone.
- With a tranquilizing gun function. This watch can only store one tranquilizing needle, so Conan must use it wisely.
- Bow Tie
- With a voice-changing function. Conan puts Richard to sleep with the tranquilizer watch and solves cases using his voice.
- DB button/badge
- DB means DETECTIVE BOYS. The micro transceiver is built in the button. The communication range is less than 20 km in radius.
- With a turbo-engine function. Conan uses this to pursue criminals.
- The item reinforces his kick power. Conan can kick soccer balls in order to knock out the criminal.
- With a stretch function. When Conan switches the suspenders on, the suspenders stretch and shrink freely.
- Button Speaker
- Wristwatch Flashlight
Characters[change | change source]
- Shinichi Kudo/Conan Edogawa
The protagonist. He solves cases (mostly murders) as a first grader. His seventeen-year-old body was shrunk due to a poison created by the Black Organization. He use a wide array of gadgets to solve crimes.
- Ran Mori
A high-school friend of Shinichi. Conan lives with her, and she is not aware of his true identity. She longs to see Shinichi again.
- Kogoro Mori
Ran's father. He is a famous private detective, but his fame is due to Conan solving cases using his voice (via the Voice-Changing Bowtie).
- Hiroshi Agasa
A plump doctor/professor who knows Conan's true identity and makes gadgets for him.
- Ai Haibara
A former member of the Black Organization. Her body shrunk due to the same poison that Conan took.
- Heiji Hattori
A rival high school detective who knows Conan's true identity and is called the "teen detective of the west"
- Sonoko Suzuki
A boy-crazy friend of Ran's. Conan sometimes uses her voice to solve crimes instead of Kogoro's. She is also a big fan of KID, the phantom thief.
- Kaito Kuroba
Kaitou Kid (怪盗キッド Kaitō Kiddo, lit. Phantom Thief Kid) is the secret identity of the main character in the manga and anime franchise Magic Kaito, and a recurring character in the manga and anime franchise Detective Conan.
Black Organization[change | change source]
- Boss (referred to as "That Person")
References[change | change source]
- ↑ "Official Website for Case Closed". Viz Media. Retrieved October 27, 2017.
- ↑ FUNimation, "Case Closed FAQ" (FAQ is an acronym. FAQ means "Frequently Asked Questions"); retrieved 2012-6-13.
Other websites[change | change source]
- Shogakukan, Detective Conan website (in Japanese)
- Gosho Aoyama website Archived 2012-02-16 at the Wayback Machine (in English)