Elisabeth "Ellis" Kaut (17 November 1920 – 24 September 2015) was a German author of children's literature. She was best known for her creation of Pumuckl, an imp appearing in radio plays and TV series. She also published novellas and some illustrated books.
Life[change | change source]
Kaut was born in Stuttgart, Germany. Her parents moved the family to Munich when she was two years old. In 1938, aged 18, Kaut was elected the first official Münchner Kindl for that year. In 1939 she married author Kurt Preis. She continuing to live in Munich. They had a daughter, Ursula, born in March 1945. Kaut received actor's training, then studied sculpting. From 1948 she was a freelance author. She also had some speaking parts in radio plays in the 1950s and 1960s. She supervised children's programmes at Bayerischer Rundfunk. She was also active as a painter and photographer. In a 2010 interview, Kaut said that writing was always hard work for her.
Kaut's husband died in 1991. Her last place of residence was in the district of Pasing in Munich. On 24 September 2015, aged 94, she died in a nursing home near Fürstenfeldbruck. She had been ill for a long time.
Honors and awards[change | change source]
- 1938: First
- 1955: Bayerischer Hörspielpreis
- 1971: Schwabinger Kunstpreis
- 1980: Cross of Merit 1st Class of Verdienstorden der Bundesrepublik Deutschland
- 1980: Medal, München leuchtet
- 1984: Ernst-Hoferichter-Preis
- 1985: Bayerischer Verdienstorden
- 1992: Bayerischer Poetentaler
- 1999: Oberbayerischer Kulturpreis
- 2001: Pro meritis scientiae et litterarum
- 2002: Bayerische Verfassungsmedaille in silver
References[change | change source]
- Meinhard, Gabriele. "Ellis Kaut" (in German). Archived from the original on 31 December 2015. Retrieved 25 September 2015.
- ""Ja mei!" Ellis Kaut im Interview". MAGDA – Magazin der Autoren (in German). 29 April 2010. Retrieved 25 September 2015.[permanent dead link]
- Woitsch, Katrin (17 November 2010). "Pumuckl-Erfinderin wird heute 90". Münchner Merkur (in German). Retrieved 25 September 2015.
- "Pumuckl-Erfinderin Ellis Kaut ist tot". sueddeutsche.de (in German). 24 September 2015. Retrieved 25 September 2015.