Empire of the Sun (band)
Empire of the Sun
|Associated acts||The Sleepy Jackson, Pnau, Teenager|
Empire of the Sun is an Australian electronic music group which started in 2007. The band is made up of two musicians, Luke Steele of The Sleepy Jackson and Nick Littlemore of Pnau. The pair achieved chart success with their first single, "Walking on a Dream", which got to number ten on the Australian charts, and reached 64 on the UK Singles Chart.
Their first album also called Walking on a Dream, released in October 2008, won a platinum award in Australia. Another single from the album, "We Are the People" reached the top 25. Recently Empire of the Sun was in the news for getting to fourth position on the BBC’s annual Sound of Music poll 2009. They are currently signed to EMI Australia and Virgin UK. In November 2009, the band won four awards from the Australian Recording Industry Association (ARIA). They were given the award for the best group, the best pop release, the Album of the Year, and Single of the Year.
Empire of the Sun is very different, Luke Steele said that "...we are not a band. We're anything we want it to be..." The two musicians play a lot of instruments and dress in elaborate stage costumes.
Other websites[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- "Empire Of The Sun: Interview". Prefix Magazine. April 8, 2009. Archived from the original on November 7, 2015. Retrieved April 15, 2009.
- "The Sleepy Jackson's Luke Steele Returns With New Band". NME. 12 July 2009. Retrieved 12 July 2009.
- "Empire of the Sun Biography". Allmusic. 12 July 2009. Retrieved 12 July 2009.
- "Chart Stats for We are the People". chartstats.com. Retrieved July 14, 2009.
- "Empire of the Sun place 4th on [[BBC]] Sound of Music Poll 2009". 12 July 2009. Retrieved 12 July 2009. URL–wikilink conflict (help)
- "Empire of the Sun Myspace Page Info". 12 July 2009. Retrieved 12 July 2009.
- "Empire Of The Sun win big at Australian Music Awards". NME. November 27, 2009. Retrieved 2010-05-08.
- Cochrane, Greg. "Introducing...Empire of the Sun". Newsbeat. BBC. Retrieved 2010-05-08.