Error detection and correction
Error detection and correction is about methods to make sure that information or data is not corrupted, and still makes sense. The techniques help reliable delivery of digital data over unreliable communication channels.
Detecting an error[change | change source]
There are different ways to make sure an error can be detected. This is done by adding more data or information to the data transmitted. Adding more data than needed is called redundancy.
- Repetition codes: The data is broken up into blocks. Each block is then sent a number of times.
- Parity bits can be used. The parity bit is 1 for an odd number of ones, and 0 for an even number (or vice versa)
- Cyclic redundancy checks
- Hamming codes
- Hash function
- Longitudinal redundancy check
- Transverse redundancy check
- Polarity schemes
Correcting an error[change | change source]
Certain means allow to correct an error:
Other websites[change | change source]
- Error control] --Citizendium