The Basilica di Santa Maria del Fiore or Florence Cathedral is the cathedral church of Florence, Italy. The basilica was designed by Arnolfo di Cambio with the dome by Filippo Brunelleschi. The bell tower was designed by Giotto. The outside is decorated with marble panels in green and pink bordered by white. The building was begun in 1296 and was finished in 1469, except for the decoration. The facade (the main front) was decorated between 1876 and 1903. The dome, which is built of bricks with stone ribs, is one of the biggest in the world.
Other websites[change | change source]
- L'Opera del Duomo, Firenze
- "The Cathedral". The Florence Art Guide. 2004. http://www.mega.it/eng/egui/monu/buq.htm. Retrieved July 14, 2006.
- Horner, Susan; Horner, Joanna (December 27 2005). "Chapter III: The Cathedral - Exterior". Walks in Florence. http://www.florin.ms/hwalks3.html. Retrieved July 14, 2006.
- "Duomo". Minosh Photography. http://www.westfordconnection.com/Photos/Italy/Duomo/index.htm. Retrieved July 14, 2006.
- Rick Edmondson's Unfinished Buildings
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Duomo Santa Maria del Fiore|