Fred Burton is STATFOR's vice president for intelligence. STRATFOR is a global intelligence company. Burton is thought to be "one of the world's foremost experts on security, terrorists and terrorist organizations." This basically means that he is thought to be one of the world's best intelligence workers.
He was a special agent with the U.S. Diplomatic Security Service.
Washington asked Burton to help the investigation of the assassination of Israeli Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin. He used to be the deputy chief of the counter-terrorism part of the U.S. State Department's Diplomatic Security Service. He also investigated the killing of Rabbi Meir Kahane, the al Qaeda New York City bombing plots before the September 11 attacks and the Libyan-backed terrorist attacks against diplomats in Sana'a and Khartoum. He helped in the arrest of Ramzi Yousef, the mastermind of the first World Trade Center bombing in 1993.
Burton is the author of a memoir called Ghost: Confessions of a Counterterrorism Agent. It was published by Random House in 2008. Another memoir is Chasing Shadows: A Special Agent's Lifelong Hunt to Bring a Cold War Assassin to Justice, published by Palgrave Macmillan in 2011.
In August 2009 he was hired as the Texas Department of Public Safety's Assistant Director for Intelligence and Counter-Terrorism but left after 2 months. This was because he wanted to work on his writing and speaking career.
References[change | change source]
- Nicholas Johnston; Kate Andersen Brower (4 May 2011). "Bin Laden Killed After Wife Shot While Rushing Commando, U.S. Account Says". Bloomberg. Retrieved 21 May 2011.
Fred Burton, the vice president of intelligence at Stratfor, discusses the killing of al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden during a U.S. raid in Pakistan yesterday.
- "Al Qaeda's Future After Bin Laden". Fox News Channel. 3 May 2011. Retrieved 21 May 2011.
Joining us now from Austin, Texas, is Fred Burton, the vice president of Intelligence for Stratfor.com.
- "Fred Burton: author spotlight". Random House. Retrieved 21 May 2011.
Fred Burton is one of the world’s foremost experts on security, terrorists, and terrorist organizations. He is vice president for counterterrorism and corporate security at Stratfor, an influential private intelligence company. He is the former deputy chief of the Diplomatic Security Service, the Department of State’s counterterrorism division.
- "Chasing Shadows: A Special Agent's Lifelong Hunt to Bring a Cold War Assassin to Justice". Macmillan Publishers. Archived from the original on 1 April 2011. Retrieved 21 May 2011.
On a warm Saturday night in July 1973 in Bethesda Maryland, a gunman stepped out from behind a tree and fired five point-blank shots into Joe Alon, an unassuming Israeli Air Force pilot and family man. Alon's sixteen-year-old neighbor, Fred Burton, was deeply shocked by this crime that rocked his sleepy suburban neighborhood.
- "Texas Governor Rick Perry - Appointment - September 11, 2007". Archived from the original on 2012-03-09. Retrieved 2011-12-25.