From Russia with Love
From Russia with Love is the second James Bond movie made by Eon Productions. It is also the second to star Sean Connery as the fictional MI6 agent James Bond. Released in 1963, the film was produced by Albert R. Broccoli and Harry Saltzman. It was directed by Terence Young. From Russia with Love is based on the 1957 novel of the same name written by Ian Fleming. In the movie, James Bond is sent to assist in the defection of Soviet consulate clerk Tatiana Romanova in Turkey, where SPECTRE plans to avenge Bond's killing of Dr. No. Rotten Tomatoes gave the move a 96% rating.
Cast[change | change source]
- Sean Connery as James Bond: Secret Intelligence Service Agent 007.
- Daniela Bianchi as Tatiana Romanova (voiced by Barbara Jefford): Soviet Embassy clerk and Bond's love interest. Fleming based Romanova on Christine Granville.
- Pedro Armendáriz as Ali Kerim Bey: British Intelligence station chief in Istanbul.
- Lotte Lenya as Rosa Klebb: A former SMERSH colonel, now chief operations officer for SPECTRE.
- Robert Shaw as Donald "Red" Grant: Cunning SPECTRE assassin and one of the principal Bond enemies.
- Bernard Lee as M: Chief of British Intelligence.
- Walter Gotell as Morzeny: SPECTRE thug who trains personnel on SPECTRE Island.
- Vladek Sheybal as Kronsteen: Chess grandmaster, and chief planning officer for SPECTRE.
- "?" (anonymous credit for Anthony Dawson (body) and Eric Pohlmann (voice)) as "Number 1" (Ernst Stavro Blofeld): Chief of SPECTRE and Bond's nemesis.
- Lois Maxwell as Miss Moneypenny: M's secretary.
- Desmond Llewelyn as Major Boothroyd: Head of "Q" Section (British Intelligence gadgetry department).
- Eunice Gayson as Sylvia Trench: Bond's semi-regular girlfriend.
- Francis de Wolff as Vavra: Chief of a Gypsy tribe used for dirty work by Kerim Bey.
- George Pastell as the Orient Express train conductor.
- Fred Haggerty as Krilencu: A Bulgarian assassin who works as a killer for the Soviets in the Balkans.
- Aliza Gur and Martine Beswick as Vida and Zora, respectively: Two jealous Gypsy girls who are disputing the same man.
- Nadja Regin as Kerim Bey's lonely girlfriend.