The Gaza War was a three-week armed conflict that took place in the Gaza Strip during the winter of 2008–2009. It was codenamed Operation Cast Lead (Hebrew: מבצע עופרת יצוקה Mivtza Oferet Yetzuka) by the Israeli government.
The Gaza War is said to have begun when Israel started an air strike against the Gaza Strip on Dec. 27. This was after a six-month truce between Israel and Hamas had run out and Hamas had resumed rocket attacks against Israel. Israel's said its aim was to stop Hamas' rocket attacks on Israel from and arms import into the territory. Israeli forces attacked military targets, police stations and government buildings. Hamas intensified its rocket and mortar attacks against Southern Israel, reaching the major cities of Beersheba and Ashdod for the first time. An Israeli ground invasion began on January 3, 2009. The war ended on January 18, when Israel first declared a unilateral(one-sided) ceasefire, followed by Hamas' announcing a one-week ceasefire twelve hours later. Israel completed its withdrawal on January 21. The conflict resulted in between 1,166 and 1,417 Palestinian and 13 Israeli deaths.
References[change | change source]
- Whitlock, Craig; Finer, Jonathan (2009-01-18). "Israelis Announce Cease-Fire In Gaza". The Washington Post. Retrieved 2010-05-03. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Ben-David, Alon (January 9, 2009). "Israeli offensive seeks 'new security reality' in Gaza". Jane's Defence Weekly. Retrieved August 1, 2010. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Ilene R. Prusher, 'Hamas remains defiant despite pounding' Christian Science Monitor 13/01/2009". Csmonitor.com. 2009-01-13. Archived from the original on 2009-02-20. Retrieved 2010-06-05. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- TIMELINE - Israeli-Hamas violence since truce ended, Reuters 05-01-2009
- Bright, Arthur. Israel set to launch ‘limited operation’ in Gaza, Christian Science Monitor, December 26, 2008. Archived March 8, 2009, at the Wayback Machine
- Rory McCarthy in Jerusalem. "Israel rejects war crimes findings of UN Gaza inquiry | World news | guardian.co.uk". Guardian. Retrieved 2010-05-08. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Rockets land east of Ashdod m Ynetnews, December 28, 2008; Rockets reach Beersheba, cause damage, Ynetnews, December 30, 2008. Archived 2010-01-17 at WebCite
- "Israel News | Online Israeli News Covering Israel & The Jewish World - JPost". Archived from the original on 2012-02-22. Retrieved 2021-01-19.
- "Another Miracle: Rocket Hits Empty Synagogue - Defense/Middle East - Israel News". Israel National News. Retrieved 2010-05-08. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Hamas leader in Syria announce one-week ceasefire in Gaza". Xinhua. 2009-01-18. Retrieved 2009-08-03. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Hamas agrees to 1-week ceasefire". CBC News. 2009-01-18. Retrieved 2009-08-03. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Hamas, Israel set independent cease-fires, CNN International; Last Israeli troops 'leave Gaza', BBC News, January 21, 2009.
- Al-Mughrabi, Nidal. Israel tightens grip on urban parts of Gaza