God Defend New Zealand
|National anthem of||New Zealand|
|Lyrics||Thomas Bracken, 1870s|
|Music||John Joseph Woods, 1876|
|Adopted||1940 (as national hymn)|
1977 (as national anthem)
"God Defend New Zealand", called "Aotearoa" (simply "New Zealand") in Māori, is the title of the most popular national anthem of New Zealand. It was originally a poem written by Thomas Bracken in the 1870s until it was set to music by John Joseph Woods as part a competition for ten guineas in 1876. Two years later, Thomas Henry Smith wrote the lyrics in Māori—one of the country's official languages. The anthem was adopted in 1977.
"God Save the Queen", the national anthem used for the United Kingdom and used as a royal anthem for a number of countries and territories, is also a national anthem of New Zealand.
Lyrics[change | change source]
According to copyright law of New Zealand, the English lyrics are no longer copyrighted since the beginning of 1949 or the end of the 50-year mark of Bracken's death, and since the 1980s, the rights to the musical score are in the public domain.
The meaning of the Māori lyrics are slightly different from the English lyrics.
God of Nations at Thy feet,
E Ihowā Atua,
References[change | change source]
- http://dnzb.govt.nz/DNZB/alt_essayBody.asp?essayID=2B35 Broughton, W.S (22 June 2007). Bracken, Thomas 1843 – 1898. Dictionary of New Zealand Biography. Ministry for Culture and Heritage. Retrieved 9 November 2010.
- https://www.mch.govt.nz/nz-identity-heritage/national-anthems/history-god-defend-new-zealand National anthems: History of God Defend New Zealand. Ministry for Culture and Heritage (23 March 2015). Retrieved 15 August 2015.
- http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/public/1994/0143/latest/DLM345634.html Copyright Act 1994 No 143 (as of 1 March 2017). Public Act Contents. Legislation.govt.nz. Parliamentary Counsel Office. Retrieved 7 September 2017.
- https://teara.govt.nz/en/national-anthems/print Swarbrick, Nancy (June 2012). National anthems – New Zealand's anthems. Te Ara: The Encyclopedia of New Zealand. Retrieved 18 October 2017.
- https://mch.govt.nz/nz-identity-heritage/national-anthems/god-defend-new-zealandaotearoa National anthems: God Defend New Zealand/Aotearoa. Ministry for Culture and Heritage. 25 March 2015. Retrieved 15 August 2015.
- http://folksong.org.nz/e_ihowa_atua/index.html#500 Folksong.org.nz. E Ihowa atua: "Triple Star" Contains the English translation of the Māori lyrics.