Green Acres is an American sitcom that was produced by Filmways and released by Orion Pictures (now Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer). Green Acres stars Eddie Albert and Eva Gabor as a couple who move from New York City to a rural country farm in the fictional community of Hooterville. The show also had supporting roles by Tom Lester, Frank Cady, Pat Buttram, Alvy Moore, Hank Patterson, Barbara Pepper, and several others. Green Acres is a sister show to Petticoat Junction which also takes place in Hooterville.
Green Acres was created by Jay Sommers who was also a writer and executive producer for Petticoat Junction. The idea of Green Acres came from a radio show which Sommers directed and produced. The series was first broadcast on CBS on September 15, 1965, and was canceled on April 27, 1971. During its run, Green Acres had six seasons with a total of 170 episodes.
Cast[change | change source]
- Eddie Albert as Oliver Wendell Douglas, an American lawyer who moves to Hooterville to become a farmer.
- Eva Gabor as Lisa Douglas, Oliver's Hungarian wife who gives up the city life by moving to Hooterville with her husband.
- Tom Lester as Eb Dawson, Oliver and Lisa's farmhand.
- Frank Cady as Sam Drucker, the owner of Hooterville's general store.
- Pat Buttram as Mr. Haney, a cunning merchant.
- Alvy Moore as Hank Kimball, Hooterville's county agent.
- Hank Patterson as Fred Ziffel, an elderly farmer who, together with his wife, care for their pet pig named Arnold.
- Barbara Pepper as Doris Ziffel, Fred's wife (seasons 1-4).
- Fran Ryan as Doris Ziffel (seasons 5-6).
- Mary Grace Canfield as Ralph Monroe, who works with her brother Alf as a carpenter.
- Sid Melton as Alf Monroe, who works with his sister Ralph as a carpenter.
- Kay E. Kuter as Newt Kiley, a farmer.
- Eleanor Audley as Oliver Douglas' mother who lives in New York City.
- Robert Foulk as Roy Trendell
- Tom Fadden as Ben Miller
Characters from Petticoat Junction
- Bea Benaderet as Kate Bradley, owner of the Shady Rest Hotel in Pixley, a city next to Hooterville.
- Edgar Buchanan as Uncle Joe Carson, Kate's lazy uncle who helps her run the Shady Rest Hotel.
- Smiley Burnette as Charley Pratt, engineer of the Hooterville Cannonball, a train that goes between Hooterville and nearby Pixley.
- Rufe Davis as Floyd Smoot, conductor of the Hooterville Cannonball.