|Named for||Alexander Hamilton|
|Largest CDP||Long Lake|
|• Total||1,808 sq mi (4,680 km2)|
|• Land||1,717 sq mi (4,450 km2)|
|• Water||90 sq mi (200 km2) 5.0%|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||2.8/sq mi (1.1/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC−5 (Eastern)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−4 (EDT)|
Hamilton County is a county in the U.S. state of New York. As of the 2010 census, 4,836 people lived there. The county seat is Lake Pleasant. The county is named after Alexander Hamilton, the only member of the New York State delegation who signed the United States Constitution in 1787 and later the first United States Secretary of the Treasury. The county was created in 1816 and organized in 1847. This county is part of New York's 21st congressional district.
It is the least populous county in New York.
History[change | change source]
On April 12, 1816, Hamilton County was created by seperating it 1,800 square miles (4,700 km2) from Montgomery County, but due to low population at the time it remained unorganized and administered from Montgomery County, N.Y. until it was recognized as sufficiently prepared for self-government on January 1, 1838. The organization process was completed by summer 1847.
Geography[change | change source]
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 1,808 square miles (4,680 km2), of which 1,717 square miles (4,450 km2) is land and 90 square miles (230 km2) (5.0%) is water. It is New York's third-largest county by land area and fifth-largest by total area.
Related pages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on June 7, 2011. Retrieved October 11, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- Gannett, Henry (1905). The Origin of Certain Place Names in the United States. Govt. Print. Off. p. 147.
- "New York: Individual County Chronologies". New York Atlas of Historical County Boundaries. The Newberry Library. 2008. Archived from the original on April 10, 2015. Retrieved January 9, 2015.
- New York. Laws of New York;1816; 39th Session; Chapter 120; Section 1; Page 16.
- New York. Laws of New York;1837; 60th Session; Chapter 238; Section 1; Page 227.
- Aber, Ted, and King, Stella (1965). History of Hamilton County. Lake Pleasant, New York: Great Wilderness Books. p. 51.
- "2010 Census Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. August 22, 2012. Archived from the original on May 19, 2014. Retrieved January 5, 2015.
Other websites[change | change source]
- Hamilton County Information
- More county data
- Hamilton County at the Open Directory Project
- Speculator Region Chamber of Commerce Archived 2013-02-16 at the Wayback Machine
- Brief history Archived 2016-09-23 at the Wayback Machine