Joseph Walter Jackson
July 26, 1928
Fountain Hill, Arkansas, U.S.
|Died||June 27, 2018 (aged 89)|
Las Vegas, Nevada, U.S.
|Cause of death||Pancreatic cancer|
|Spouse(s)||Katherine Scruse (m. 1949)|
|Children||11, See below|
|Parent(s)||Samuel Jackson (1893–1993) |
Crystal Lee King (1907–1999)
|Relatives||Israel Nero Jackson (1838-1934) (grandfather) |
Jack July Jackson (1803-1908) (great-grandfather)
Joseph Walter "Joe" Jackson (July 26, 1928 – June 27, 2018) was an American talent manager. He was the father of the Jackson family of musicians. His most famous son was Michael Jackson. His most famous daughter was Janet Jackson.
Early life[change | change source]
Joseph Walter Jackson was born in Fountain Hill, Arkansas. He was the eldest son and child of Samuel Jackson (1893-1993), a schoolteacher, and Crystal Lee King (1907-1999). Samuel was the son of Israel Nero Jackson (1838-1934), a slave. Isreal was the son of Jack July Jackson (1803-1908), an indigenous choctaw of the Plantation of Gale. He was raised in East Chicago, Indiana and in Gary, Indiana. Jackson married Katherine Jackson in 1949.
Career[change | change source]
In 1963, Jackie, Tito and Jermaine started a band called The Jackson Brothers. Joe was their manager. The band changed their name to The Jackson 5 and they became su Michael fired Jackson as his manager in 1979. The rest of the brothers did the same in 1983. In 2002, Jackson was given a place in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for being the Best Entertainment Manager of All Time.
Personal life[change | change source]
Children[change | change source]
Ten children were born to Katherine and Joe Jackson.
- Maureen Reillette "Rebbie" Jackson (born May 29, 1950)
- Sigmund Esco "Jackie" Jackson (born May 4, 1951)
- Toriano Adaryll "Tito" Jackson (born October 15, 1953)
- Jermaine La Jaune Jackson (born December 11, 1954)
- La Toya Yvonne Jackson (born May 29, 1956)
- Marlon David Jackson (born March 12, 1957)
- Brandon Jackson (March 12, 1957 – March 12, 1957)
- Michael Joseph Jackson (August 29, 1958 – June 25, 2009)
- Steven Randall "Randy" Jackson (born October 29, 1961)
- Janet Damita Jo Jackson (born May 16, 1966)
Illness[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- "Singer Jackson whipped by father". 13 November 2003 – via news.bbc.co.uk.
- "Jackson 'took revenge on abusive father' by cutting him out of his will". Mail Online.
- McKay, Hollie (26 March 2015). "Joe Jackson in 'serious' condition after stroke". Fox News.
- "MJ's dad: No such thing as beating a kid". 31 January 2013.
- Khan, Urmee (14 September 2009). "Michael Jackson's secret sister JohVonnie Jackson says she was 'rejected'" – via www.telegraph.co.uk.
- "Joe Jackson admitted to hospital after stroke". USA TODAY.
- "Michael Jackson's father Joe 'left blind after suffering stroke'". Mail Online. 27 July 2015.
- [permanent dead link]
- "Michael Jackson's dad Joe Jackson reportedly hospitalized with terminal cancer as Jermaine reveals he's on deathbed". www.msn.com.
- "Joe Jackson, father of Michael and Janet Jackson, dead at 89". Retrieved 2018-06-27.