Johannes Vermeer or Jan Vermeer (baptised 31 October 1632, died 15 December 1675) was a Dutch Baroque painter. He spent his life in the town of Delft. Vermeer came from a Protestant family but he married a Catholic, named Catherina Bolnes, in April 1653. They had eleven children.
There is no self portrait of Jan Vermeer. His face may be in some other paintings, especially The Art of Painting (De Schilderkunst) and The Procuress (De Koppelaarste), but there is no proof that the man is Vermeer.
Sources[change | change source]
- Essential Vermeer, This site covers much of Vermeer's life, works, and environment
- Virtual Vermeer, Familiar biography, interesting entries
- Van Meegeren's Fake Vermeers at Arttube (Museum Boijmans)
- Vermeercentrum, Short biography of Vermeer and his life in Delft.
- Entry in Britannica encyclopaedia
Further reading[change | change source]
- Schneider, Nobert (1993). Vermeer. Cologne: Benedikt Taschen Verlag. ISBN 3-8228-6377-7.
- Steadman, Philip (2002). Vermmeer's Camera, the truth behind the masterpieces. Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-280302-6.
- Wheelock, Arthur K., Jr. (1981,1988). Jan Vermeer. New York: Abrams. ISBN 0-8109-1737-8. Check date values in: