Roman Griffin Davis plays Johannes "Jojo" Betzler, a Hitler Youth member who finds out his mother (Scarlett Johansson) is hiding a Jewish girl (Thomasin McKenzie) in their attic. He also deals with an imaginary friend-version of Adolf Hitler (Waititi). The movie also stars Rebel Wilson, Stephen Merchant, Alfie Allen, and Sam Rockwell.
The movie had its world premiere at the 44th Toronto International Film Festival on September 8, 2019. Jojo Rabbit was released theatrically in the United States on October 18, 2019, and in New Zealand on October 24, 2019. It had strong positive reviews, although many criticized how the Nazis were seen as almost harmless and funny.
References[change | change source]
- "The Jojo Rabbit Trailer Stars Taika Waititi As a Dancing Hitler". vulture.com. New York City: New York Media. Retrieved September 21, 2019.
- "Why 'Jojo Rabbit' takes aim at Nazis and Hitler in Taika Waititi's 'anti-hate' satire". Los Angeles Times. Los Angeles, California: Tronc. September 9, 2019. Archived from the original on September 20, 2019. Retrieved September 21, 2019.
- Pelletier, Lee (August 6, 2019). ""Caging Skies" Author Talks WWII, Hitler Youth and Upcoming Film "Jojo Rabbit" - BookTrib Christine Leunens Caging Skies Jojo Rabbit". BookTrib. Archived from the original on August 7, 2019. Retrieved September 21, 2019.
- "Jojo Rabbit' Wins Toronto's Grolsch People's Choice Award; Best Picture Oscar Predictor?". Deadline Hollywood. September 16, 2019. Archived from the original on September 15, 2019. Retrieved September 15, 2019.
- "Disney Hitler movie Jojo Rabbit divides critics and angers Germany". The Daily Telegraph. September 9, 2019. Archived from the original on September 10, 2019. Retrieved September 11, 2019.
- Sharf, Zack (September 9, 2019). "'Jojo Rabbit' Sharply Divides TIFF With Oscar Buzz and Uproar Over Nazi Storyline". IndieWire. Archived from the original on September 11, 2019. Retrieved September 11, 2019.
- "Jojo Rabbit tickets are now on sale". www.flicks.co.nz. Archived from the original on 2019-11-08. Retrieved 2019-11-08.