Jundallah (or Jondallah, translates to Soldiers of God), or People's resistance movement of Iran (PRMI) is a militant organisation based in Balochistan. The organisation claims to be fighting for the rights of Sunni muslims in Iran. Most muslims in Iran are Shi'a, Sunni make up for the largest group that is not Shi'a. Iran says the group is a terrorist organisation. Iran has blamed the organisation for many acts of smuggling illegal drugs, and of kidnapping. The organisation is believed to have 1.000 fighting soldiers.
Many observers believe the group is linked to al-Qaeda. For a long time, Iran has believed that the U.S. government supported Jundallah. Several other sources such as the ABC News, Daily Telegraph, and journalist Seymour Hersh have also reported that Jundullah has received support from the United States against the government of Iran, although the US denies any involvement.
In August 2007, the Israeli Mossad chief, Meir Dagan, pushed for using ethnic groups (among others, people from Balochistan) in Iran to make the Iranian government weaker and try to change the people in charge of the government.
References[change | change source]
- "Jundullah a terrorist organization جنایات گروهک ریگی 1 | NowPublic Video Archives". Nowpublic.com. Archived from the original on 2012-03-02. Retrieved 2009-10-20.
- "Iran: Jundallah and the Geopolitics on Iran's Eastern Flank". Stratfor.
- "The legacy of Nek Mohammed By Syed Saleem Shahzad". Archived from the original on 2012-05-03. Retrieved 2010-12-20.
- Lowther, William (2007-02-25). "US funds terror groups to sow chaos in Iran". London: Telegraph. Retrieved 2009-10-20.
- Shipman, Tim (2007-05-27). "Bush sanctions 'black ops' against Iran". London: Telegraph. Retrieved 2009-10-20.
- Brian Ross and Christopher Isham Report (2007-04-03). "ABC News Exclusive: The Secret War Against Iran - The Blotter". Blogs.abcnews.com. Retrieved 2009-10-20.
- Hersh, Seymour M. (2009-01-07). "Annals of National Security: Preparing the Battlefield". The New Yorker. Retrieved 2009-10-20.
- Lowther, William; Freeman, Colin (2007-02-25). "US funds terror groups to sow chaos in Iran". The Daily Telegraph. London. Retrieved 2010-05-07.
- Staff, Guardian (28 November 2010). "US embassy cables: Israel grateful for US support" – via www.theguardian.com.