|Deputy Chair of the Democratic National Committee|
Assumed office |
February 25, 2017
|Preceded by||Position established|
|Member of the U.S. House of Representatives|
from Minnesota's 5th district
Assumed office |
January 3, 2007
|Preceded by||Martin Sabo|
|Member of the Minnesota House of Representatives|
from the 58B district
January 7, 2003 – January 3, 2007
|Preceded by||Gregory Gray|
|Succeeded by||Augustine Dominguez|
Keith Maurice Ellison|
August 4, 1963
Detroit, Michigan, U.S.
|Political party||Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party|
|Spouse(s)||Kim Ellison (1987–2012)|
Wayne State University, B.A.|
University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, J.D.
Keith Maurice Ellison (born August 4, 1963) is an American politician. He has been the U.S. Representative for Minnesota's 5th congressional district since 2007. He is a member of the Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party (DFL), the Minnesota state Democratic Party affiliate. Ellison is a co-chair of the Congressional Progressive Caucus and a Chief Deputy Whip, also notably serving in the House Committee on Financial Services.
In November 2016, progressive groups and United States senators, including Bernie Sanders of Vermont, supported Ellison for chair of the Democratic National Committee. On February 25, 2017, minutes after defeating him on a second ballot, Chairman Tom Perez motioned for Ellison to be elected his Deputy Chair which was approved by a unanimous voice vote of DNC members.
References[change | change source]
- Robson, Britt (2006-08-30). "Running Man". City Pages. Retrieved 2009-09-25.
- MacFarquhar, Neil (2006-10-11). "Muslim's Election Is Celebrated Here and in Mideast". New York Times. Retrieved 2006-10-11.
- Strauss, Daniel (November 10, 2016). "Sanders backs Ellison for DNC chairman". Politico. Retrieved December 20, 2016.
- Hook, Janet (November 11, 2016). "Schumer, Liberal Leaders Rally Behind Rep. Ellison for DNC Chair". The Wall Street Journal. ISSN 0099-9660. Retrieved November 12, 2016.
- "Schumer throws his support behind Keith Ellison for DNC chairman". The Washington Post. Retrieved November 12, 2016.
- Ellison, Keith (2018-06-05). "Today I am announcing my candidacy to be the People's Lawyer, and to protect and defend all Minnesotans as your next Attorney General". Twitter. Retrieved 2018-06-05.
- Filing deadline drama: Rep. Omar jumps into race for Congress