Emerson performing in Saint Petersburg, Russia, September 2008
|Birth name||Keith Noel Emerson|
|Born||2 November 1944|
Todmorden, Yorkshire, England
|Died||11 March 2016 (aged 71)|
Santa Monica, California, U.S.
|Occupation(s)||Musician, songwriter, composer, arranger, producer|
|Instruments||Keyboards, synthesizer, piano|
|Labels||Edel, Victor, Shout! Factory, Varèse Sarabande, Rhino, Manticore, J!MCO Records, Sanctuary, EMI, Marquee Inc., Charly, Gunslinger Records, Cinevox|
|Associated acts||Gary Farr & The T-Bones, the V.I.P.s, P. P. Arnold, the Nice, Free Creek, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Emerson, Lake & Powell, 3, Keith Emerson Band, Ayreon|
Keith Noel Emerson (2 November 1944 – 10 March 2016) was an English keyboardist and composer. Emerson played in a number of bands before he found his first commercial success with P. P. Arnold's backing band the Nice in the late 1960s.
Emerson was born in Todmoreden, West Riding of Yorkshire. He was a founding member of Emerson, Lake & Palmer (ELP) in 1970. Emerson, Lake & Palmer were successful through much of the 1970s. They became one of the best-known progressive rock groups of the era.
Further reading[change | change source]
- Emerson, Keith (2003), Pictures of an Exhibitionist: From the Nice to Emerson, Lake and Palmer - The True Story of the Man Who Changed the Sound of Rock, John Blake, ISBN 1-84454-053-7
- Forrester, George, Martyn Hanson and Frank Askew. Emerson, Lake & Palmer, The Show That Never Ends, A Musical Biography. (2001) Helter Skelter Publishing ISBN 1-900924-17-X.
- Lupis, Giuseppe (May 2006). The Published Music of Keith Emerson: Expanding the Solo Piano Repertoire (D.M.A.). University of Georgia. OCLC 223323019. Retrieved 7 January 2015.
- Macan, Edward (2006), Endless Enigma: A Musical Biography of Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Feedback Series in Contemporary Music, Vol. 4, Open Court, ISBN 978-0-8126-9596-0
- Pethel, Blair (1988). Keith Emerson: The Emergence and Growth of Style: A Study of Selected Works (D.M.A.). Peabody Conservatory of Music. OCLC 37599731.
References[change | change source]
- "VH1.com: Keith Emerson: Biography". Retrieved 23 February 2012.
- Nilsson, Anton. "British music star Keith Emerson dies aged 71 from reported suicide | Daily Mail Online". Dailymail.co.uk. Retrieved 12 March 2016.
- Rawlinson, Kevin; agencies (2016-03-11). "Keith Emerson of Emerson, Lake and Palmer found dead aged 71". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2016-03-12.