The English used in this article or section may not be easy for everybody to understand. (June 2012)
- To unite the whole archipelago into one society with equality for Filipinos and Spaniards in the Philippines.
- Mutual protection in every want and need;
- Defense against all violence and injustice;
- Encouragement of instruction, agriculture, and commerce; and
- Study and application of reforms.
Jose Rizal tried very hard to make it a peaceful group. But the Spanish authorities considered it dangerous. On the night of July 7, 1892, Rizal was secretly arrested four days after its creation. The following day, Governor-General Eulogio Despujol ordered Rizal to be deported to Dapitan.
After Rizal's arrest, La Liga Filipina became inactive. Then it was reorganized by Domingo Franco and Andres Bonifacio. The society broke apart into two separate groups: the Cuerpo de Compromisarios which promised to continue supporting the La Solidaridad in Spain and the Katipunan in the Philippines.