Lewis F. Powell, Jr.
|Lewis F. Powell, Jr.|
|Associate Justice of the United States Supreme Court|
January 7, 1972 – June 26, 1987
|Nominated by||Richard M. Nixon|
|Preceded by||Hugo Black|
|Succeeded by||Anthony Kennedy|
|Born||Lewis Franklin Powell, Jr.
September 19, 1907
|Died||August 25, 1998
|Political party||Democratic Party|
|Alma mater||Washington and Lee University
Washington and Lee University School of Law
Harvard Law School
Powell was born on September 19, 1907 in Suffolk, Virginia. He was a Presbyterian.[source?] Powell studied at Washington and Lee University, at Washington and Lee University School of Law, and at Harvard Law School. He was married to Josephine Pierce Rucker and had three daughters and one son. Powell died on August 25, 1998 in Richmond, Virginia from pneumonia, aged 90.
References[change | change source]
- "Members of the Supreme Court of the United States". Supreme Court of the United States. Retrieved April 26, 2010.
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Lewis F. Powell, Jr.|
- The Powell Memo (as text, with notation).
- Attack on American Free Enterprise System (pdf)
- Lewis F. Powell, Jr. on IMDb
- A Call to Arms for Class War: From the Top Down