List of Manitoba general elections
This article may have too many red links. (March 2020)
This is a list of the general elections to the Canadian province of Manitoba's Legislative Assembly. The number of seats has increased over time, to the present 57. Usually a general election is held every four years. The most recent election was in 2016.
Summary of results[change | change source]
The table below shows the total number of seats won by the major political parties at each election. The winning party's total is shown in bold. Full details on any election are linked via the year of the election at the start of the row.
|Year||Seats||Conservative[B]||Liberal[C]||NDP[A]||Social Credit||United Farmers[D]||Independent||Other Parties|
|Template:Canadian politics/party colours/Social Credit ||
Independent Conservative (2),
Independent Liberal, National
|1896||40||5||32||1||2||Patrons of Industry|
|1899||40||18||17||5||Independent Conservative (2)|
- A Includes results for the Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (1936 to 1959), Independent Labour Party (1922 to 1936), Labour (1920), Socialists (1920) and Social Democrats (1915 and 1920).
- B Includes results for Progressive Conservatives, and also the Independent Conservative candidate elected in 1903.
- C Includes results for the Liberal-Progressive party.
- D Includes results for the Progressive party in 1927.
- E Includes the two Liberal-Conservatives elected, who were members of the government.
- F Includes those of unknown party status.
Elections prior to provincial political parties[change | change source]
Until the 1879 election, political parties were not active in the province. However, some candidates declared their support for (or opposition to) the administration of the time. Full details on any election are linked via the year of the election at the start of the row.