List of presidents of Togo
(Redirected from List of Presidents of Togo)Jump to navigation Jump to search
|President of the|
Président de la
|Residence||Palace of the Governors, Lomé|
|Term length||5 years|
|Inaugural holder||Sylvanus Olympio|
|Formation||27 April 1960|
List of Presidents[change | change source]
|Elected||Term of office||Political affiliation||Prime minister(s)|
|Took office||Left office||Time in office|
|1961||27 April 1960||13 January 1963
|2 years, 261 days||CUT||Himself|
|—||13 January 1963||15 January 1963||2 days||Military||Position abolished|
|1963||16 January 1963||13 January 1967
|3 years, 362 days||MPT||Position abolished|
|—||16 January 1967||14 April 1967||91 days||Military||Position abolished|
|14 April 1967||5 February 2005
(died in office.)
|37 years, 297 days||Military / RPT||Koffigoh|
|—||5 February 2005[e]||25 February 2005
|—||25 February 2005||4 May 2005||68 days||RPT||Sama|
|4 May 2005||Incumbent||17 years, 153 days||RPT / UNIR||Sama|
Notes[change | change source]
- Styled as Chairman of the Insurrection Committee.
- Styled as Chairman of the National Reconciliation Committee.
- Previously named Étienne Eyadéma; changed name on 8 May 1974 due to the policy of Africanization, and to commemorate survival of a crash of his Douglas C-47 Skytrain presidential plane on 24 January 1974.
- Son of Gnassingbé Eyadéma.
- Proclaimed president by General Zakari Nandja, Chief of Staff of the Togolese Armed Forces, and confirmed by the National Assembly.
- Stepped down due to heavy regional pressure, caused over doubts regarding the constitutional legitimacy of his succession.
- Succeeded Eyadéma as the constitutional successor, President of the National Assembly.