List of districts in Kerala
The Indian state of Kerala borders with the states of Tamil Nadu on the south and east, Karnataka on the north and the Lakshadweep Sea coastline on the west. The Western Ghats, bordering the eastern boundary of the State, form an almost continuous mountain wall, except near Palakkad where there is a natural mountain pass known as the Palakkad Gap. When the independent India amalgamated small states together Travancore and Cochin states were integrated to form Travancore-Cochin state on 1 July 1949. However, Malabar remained under the Madras province. The States Reorganisation Act of 1 November 1956 elevated Kerala to statehood.
The state of Kerala is divided into 14 revenue districts. On the basis of geography the state's districts are generally grouped into three parts :- The North Kerala districts of Kasaragod, Kannur, Wayanad, Kozhikode ; the Central Kerala districts of Palakkad, Thrissur, Ernakulam, Idukki, Malappuram, Kottayam and the South Kerala districts of Thiruvananthapuram, Kollam, Alappuzha, Pathanamthitta. Such a regional division occurred being part of historical Kingdoms of Kochi, Travancore and British Province of Malabar. The Travancore region is again divided into three zones as Northern Travancore (Hill Range) (Idukki and parts of Ernakulam), Central Travancore (Central Range) (Pathanamthitta, Alappuzha and Kottayam) and Southern Travancore (South Range) (Thiruvananthapuram and Kollam). Almost all of the districts in Kerala have the same name as the important town or city in the district, the exception being Idukki district, Wayanad district& Ernakulam district. The 14 districts are further divided into 75 taluks, and 941 Gram panchayats. Some of the districts and their towns were renamed in 1990 like Thiruvananthapuram (formerly known as Trivandrum), Kollam (Quilon or Venad), Alappuzha (Alleppey),As per GO(P) No.133/90/RD dated 7.2.90, Government of Kerala Thrissur (Trichur or Thirushivaperur), Palakkad (Palghat), Kozhikode (Calicut) and Kannur (Cannanore).
Alphabetical listing[change | change source]
|Code||District||Headquarters||Established||Subdivisions||Population (2011)||Area||Population Density (2011)||District Collector|
|AL||Alappuzha||Alappuzha||17 Aug 1957||2,121,943||1,414 km2 (546 sq mi)||1,501/km2 (3,890/sq mi)||Veena Madhavan|
|ER||Ernakulam||Kakkanad||1 Apr 1958||3,279,860||3,068 km2 (1,185 sq mi)||1,069/km2 (2,770/sq mi)||S. Suhas|
|ID||Idukki||Painavu||26 Jan 1972||1,107,453||4,358 km2 (1,683 sq mi)||254/km2 (660/sq mi)||G. R. Gokul|
|KN||Kannur||Kannur||1 Jan 1957||2,525,637||2,966 km2 (1,145 sq mi)||852/km2 (2,210/sq mi)||Mir Mohammed Ali|
|KS||Kasaragod||Kasaragod||24 May 1984||1,302,600||1,992 km2 (769 sq mi)||654/km2 (1,690/sq mi)||Jeevan Babu|
|KL||Kollam||Kollam||1 Nov 1956
( 1 July 1949)
|2,629,703||2,491 km2 (962 sq mi)||1,056/km2 (2,740/sq mi)||T. Mithra|
|KT||Kottayam||Kottayam||1 Nov 1956
|1,979,384||2,208 km2 (853 sq mi)||896/km2 (2,320/sq mi)||C. A. Latha|
|KZ||Kozhikode||Kozhikode||1 Jan 1957||3,089,543||2,344 km2 (905 sq mi)||1,318/km2 (3,410/sq mi)||N. Prasanth|
|MA||Malappuram||Malappuram||16 Jun 1969||4,110,956||3,550 km2 (1,370 sq mi)||1,158/km2 (3,000/sq mi)||A. Shainamol|
|PL||Palakkad||Palakkad||1 Jan 1957||2,810,892||4,480 km2 (1,730 sq mi)||627/km2 (1,620/sq mi)||P. Marykutty|
|PT||Pathanamthitta||Pathanamthitta||1 Nov 1982||1,195,537||2,637 km2 (1,018 sq mi)||453/km2 (1,170/sq mi)||R. Girija|
|TV||Thiruvananthapuram||Thiruvananthapuram||1 Nov 1956||3,307,284||2,192 km2 (846 sq mi)||1,509/km2 (3,910/sq mi)||Dr.K Vasuki|
|TS||Thrissur||Thrissur||1 Nov 1956
(1 Jul 1949)
|3,110,327||3,032 km2 (1,171 sq mi)||1,026/km2 (2,660/sq mi)||Dr. A. Kowsigan|
|WA||Wayanad||Kalpetta||1 Nov 1980||816,558||2,131 km2 (823 sq mi)||383/km2 (990/sq mi)||B. S. Thirumeni|
|Total||—||—||—||—||33,387,677||38,863 km2 (15,005 sq mi)||859.11/km2 (2,225.1/sq mi)||—|
References[change | change source]
- "NIC Policy on format of e-mail Address: Appendix (2): Districts Abbreviations as per ISO 3166–2" (PDF). Ministry Of Communications and Information Technology, Government of India. 2004-08-10. pp. 5–10. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2008-09-11. Retrieved 2008-11-24.
- "Districts : Kerala". Government of India portal. Retrieved 2009-03-11.
- Here 'Established' means the year of establishment as a district of Kerala. If the district was formed earlier than the formation of the state of Kerala, 1 Nov 1956 will be considered as the day of establishment of the district.
- "Part I: state" (PDF). Government of India Census portal. Retrieved 2015-12-08.
- "Alappuzha : History". alappuzha.nic.in. Archived from the original on 2008-01-15. Retrieved 2009-03-11.
- "History of Ernakulam". ernakulam.nic.in ( Ministry of Communication & Information Technology, Govt. of India). Archived from the original on 2007-11-15. Retrieved 2009-03-11.
- "Taluks — Ernakulam District". ernakulam.nic.in. Archived from the original on 2008-04-20. Retrieved 2009-03-11.
- "IDUKKI : History". idukki.nic.in ( Ministry of Communication & Information Technology, Govt. of India). Retrieved 2009-03-11.
- as per Government notification No 54131/C2/71/RD dated 24 January 1972, Government of Kerala
- "Kannur district : Administration". knr.kerala.gov.in ( Govt. of Kerala). Archived from the original on 2009-04-21. Retrieved 2009-03-11.
- "DISTRICT CAME INTO EXISTENCE..." kasargod.nic.in. Archived from the original on 2009-04-10. Retrieved 2009-03-11.
- As per GO.(MS)No.520/84/RD dated 19.05.1984 , Government of Kerala
- "Kasaragod District > taluks". kasargod.nic.in. Retrieved 2009-03-11.
- "Short History of Kollam". kollam.nic.in. Archived from the original on 2011-05-18. Retrieved 2009-03-11.
- Note: This date means the day when the district was initially formed, even before the formation of the state of Kerala. Hence 1 Nov 1956 will be considered as the day of formation of district in the state of Kerala
- Paravur, Kollam
- "Taluks and Villages". Kollam.nic.in. Archived from the original on 2007-02-10. Retrieved 2009-03-11.
- "District Handbooks of Kerala KOTTAYAM" (PDF). kerala.gov.in. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2009-03-19. Retrieved 2009-03-11.
- "KOTTAYAM : Short History". Kerala.gov.in. Archived from the original on 2008-11-20. Retrieved 2009-03-12.
- "Kozhikode: History". kozhikode.nic.in. Archived from the original on 2007-04-02. Retrieved 2009-03-12.
- "Kozhikode: Administration". kozhikode.nic.in. Archived from the original on 2009-02-07. Retrieved 2009-03-12.
- "Malappuram: HISTORY". malappuram.nic.in. Archived from the original on 2009-04-10. Retrieved 2009-03-12.
- "Welcome to Palghat". palghat.net. Retrieved 2009-03-12.
- "BASIC STATISTICS of PALAKKAD". palakkad.nic.in. Archived from the original on 2009-04-10. Retrieved 2009-03-12.
- "Pathanamthitta : History". pathanamthitta.nic.in. Archived from the original on 2009-04-10. Retrieved 2009-03-12.
- As per GO (MS) No.1026/82/(RD) dated 29.10.1982, Government of Kerala
- "Pathanamthitta : Administration". pathanamthitta.nic.in. Archived from the original on 2009-04-10. Retrieved 2009-03-12.
- "THIRUVANANTHAPURAM". Archived from the original on 2009-02-07. Retrieved 2009-03-12.
- "Thrissur At A Glance". thrissur.nic.in. Retrieved 2009-03-12.
- "Wayanad :profile". wayanad.nic.in. Archived from the original on 2009-03-02. Retrieved 2009-03-12.
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Districts of Kerala.|