from left to right: Jain Temple, Government college of Nursing, Alappuzha District court, Raja Kesava Das Statue, Kidangamparampu Temple, Holy family church, Boating centre, Alappuzha Beach,
|• District Collector||Anupama IAS|
|• Total||46.18 km2 (17.83 sq mi)|
|Elevation||11 m (36 ft)|
|• Density||4,466/km2 (11,570/sq mi)|
|• Official||Malayalam, English|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Sex ratio||1079 ♂/♀|
Alappuzha is a city in Kerala, India. It is the administrative headquarters of the Alappuzha district. Alappuzha is considered as the oldest planned city in the region. It is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Kerala. The city is located in the coastal region of Laccadive Sea. In 2016, the Centre for Science and Environment rated Alappuzha as the top cleanest town in India.
Population[change | change source]
According to 2011 census the population of the city is 174,176. The male population is 83,853 and female population is 90,323. The Literacy rate is 96.2%. The languages spoken here are Malayalam, Tamil and Konkani. Most of the population of Alappuzha are of Hindu and Christian religions with a small Muslim population.
Famous places and events[change | change source]
Alappuzha is famous for Snake boat races, especially the Nehru Trophy Boat Race. Games of cricket, football and basketball are also popular in the city. The Kerala Backwaters of Alappuzha are the most popular tourist attraction in Kerala. Alappuzha is most famous for its attractions. The attractions here are:
- The Alappuzha Beach
- Ambalappuzha Sri Krishna Temple
- St. Andrew's Basilica
- Mannarasala Temple
- Chettikulangara Devi Temple
- Haripad Sree Subrahmanya Swamy temple
- Thakazhy Sree Dharma Sastha Temple
- Mullakkal Temple
- Christ Church
- Champakulam Kalloorkadu Church
References[change | change source]
- "Alappuzha, Panaji and Mysuru cleanest cities in India: CSE survey - Times of India".
- "Alappuzha City Population Census 2011 - Kerala".
- "Provisional Population Totals, Census of India 2011" (PDF). censusindia.gov. Retrieved November 30, 2016.
- "Places to Visit and Tourist Destinations in India".