Tourism means people traveling for fun. It includes such activities as sightseeing and camping. People who travel for fun are called "tourists". Places where many tourists stay are called "resorts". Places that people go to for tourism are called tourist destinations.
There are a lot of reasons why people travel for fun:
- Some people travel to learn about the history of a city or country, or learn about the people who live there, or their ancestors.
- People from cold places sometimes like to relax in the sun. Many people from the north of Europe or North America travel to warmer places and visit beaches.
- Some people travel to do an activity which they cannot do at home. There are lots of ski resorts in the mountains of Switzerland and Austria, and seaside resorts in Greece and other warm countries.
- People sometimes visit friends and family in another city or country.
- Finally, some people enjoy a change in scenery.
The tourism industry[change | change source]
The tourism industry has different parts. Some of these are:
- Travel; such as road transport, airlines, railways and boats.
- Places to stay; such as hotels, camping grounds or parks, youth hostels, and bed and breakfasts.
- Food and drink; such as restaurants, cafes and bars.
Damage tourism can bring[change | change source]
Tourism can bring damage to the local area. Litter, scuba-diving and deforestation are problems for popular places such as St. Lucia, Hawaii and other far away places. Scuba-diving can cause damage to coral reefs which are home to hundreds of species of sea animals.