In geography and politics, a country is a political division. It is often a sovereign territory. The term is most commonly used for both state and nation, and also with government. For example, Liechtenstein is a country. The United Nations recognises lots of countries. There are around 206 countries in the World with 193 that are members of the UN.
Montevideo Convention[change | change source]
As defined by Montevideo Convention, a "country" has:
- sovereignty over a geographic area
- a permanent population
- a defined territory
- one government
- enters relations with other states.
Other websites[change | change source]
- Geography Trainer 1.3.5 - Educational game aimed at school children to teach world capitals
- Geography Trainer US States 1.1 game
- List of countries
- Geography Site Country Profiles - Based on the CIA World Factbook
|The Simple English Wiktionary has a definition for: country.|