Lolicon (ロリコン), is a slang word for the phrase "Lolita complex". In Japan, the word explains a hebephilic desire for drawings of teenage or prepubescent, or a young girl who desires other girls. Outside Japan, the word is less common. It denotes a genre of manga and anime in which young female characters are shown in a sexual way. The word is a reference to Vladimir Nabokov's book, Lolita. In the book, a middle-aged man sexually desires a 12-year-old girl .
Some people claim that lolicon adds to actual sexual abuse of children, while others claim that there is no facts that show this, or that facts show the opposite. Countries have tried to make lolicon that shows children naked or having sex illegal as a type of child pornography.
One of the few that has made it actually illegal is the United Kingdom where the possession of lolicon pornography is illegal. These laws have been criticised heavily, and charges of lolicon child porn tend not to stick, because a judge reasons that no real children were harmed to make it and posses it and therefore it is not worth conviction, or because the harm that will be caused by giving the person a jail sentence is considered disproportionate to their charges.
Notes[change | change source]
- Mead, Rebecca (2002-03-18). "Shopping rebellion; what the kids want. (Letter from Tokyo)". The New Yorker. Retrieved 2008-01-13.
- "ロリコン" (in Japanese). SPACE ALC. Retrieved 2008-01-07.
- Kinsella, 305.
- Graphic Artists Condemn Plans to Ban Erotic Comics. The Independant
- Paedophile avoids jail after making animated child porn . Leeds Live
- Trans-woman freed after being sentenced on bogus child porn charges . Sky News
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lolicon.|