The London Stadium, formerly called the London Olympic Stadium, is a multi-purpose stadium located at Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park in the Stratford, London. It was the main stadium for the London 2012 Olympic Games.
On 22 March 2013, West Ham United secured a 99-year lease on the Olympic Stadium, with it planned to be used as the football club's home ground from the 2016-17 season. In September 2015, the British Government rejected holding an inquiry into the arrangement that was pressed for by rival clubs who argued West Ham United were being given an unfair advantage.
On 8 May 2018, MLB announced a two-year agreement to hold baseball games at London Stadium during the 2019 and 2020 seasons. The inaugural season was held on the 29 June and 30 June of 2019. The 2020 London Series is to be held on 13 June and 14 June 2020.
The London Stadium has occasionally held concerts since the end of the Olympics in 2012.
References[change | change source]
- "Olympic Stadium: Barry Hearn calls for judicial review". 2013-03-06. Retrieved 2019-11-21.
- "Fan coalition's bid for West Ham Olympic stadium inquiry rejected". Evening Standard. 2015-09-03. Retrieved 2019-11-21.
- Park, Les Carpenter at Nationals (2018-07-21). "'You want to make sure you get it right': Baseball's big plans for London". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2019-11-21.
- "MLB London Series: All you need to know about New York Yankees v Boston Red Sox". 2019-06-29. Retrieved 2019-11-21.
- "London Series | London Series 2020". MLB.com. Retrieved 2019-11-21.