|Location||Regent's Park, London, England|
|Land area||36 acres  (0.108 km²)|
|Number of animals||16,802 (2006)|
|Number of species||755 (2008)|
|Website||ZSL London Zoo|
The London Zoo is the world's oldest scientific zoo. It was opened in London on 27 April 1828, and was originally intended to be used as a collection for scientific study. It was eventually opened to the public in 1847. Today it houses a collection of 755 species of animals, with 15,104 individuals, making it one of the largest collections in the United Kingdom.
It is managed under the aegis of the Zoological Society of London (ZSL), established in 1826. It is situated at the northern edge of Regent's Park, on the boundary line between City of Westminster and Camden (the Regent's Canal runs through it). The Society also has a more spacious site at ZSL Whipsnade Zoo in Bedfordshire to which the larger animals such as elephants and rhinos have been moved. As well as being the first scientific zoo, ZSL London Zoo also opened the first Reptile house (1849), first public Aquarium (1853), first insect house (1881) and the first children's zoo (1938).
References[change | change source]
- "ZSL Corporate and Private Events". ZSL. http://www.zsl.org/zsl-london-zoo/corporate-and-private-events/. Retrieved 3 March 2008.
- ZSL Inventory 
- "ZSL's History". ZSL. http://www.zsl.org/info/about-us/zsls-history,129,AR.html. Retrieved 5 March 2008.
- "April 27". Today in Science History. http://www.todayinsci.com/4/4_27.htm. Retrieved 5 March 2008.
- "Google Maps". Google. http://local.google.co.uk/local?f=q&hl=en&q=&ie=UTF8&om=1&z=16&ll=51.534844,-0.15353&spn=0.008502,0.020127&t=k. Retrieved 5 March 2008.
- "London elephants to join friends at Whipsnade". ZSL. 30 October 2001. http://www.zsl.org/info/media/press-releases/796,796,PR.html. Retrieved 5 March 2008.
- "Elephants leave London". BBC News. 1 November 2001. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/1631128.stm. Retrieved 5 March 2008.
- ZSL Aquarium history 
- "Volunteering at London Zoo and Whipsnade Wild Animal Park" (PDF). ZSL. Archived from the original on 11 April 2008. https://web.archive.org/web/20080411152620/http://static.zsl.org/files/volunteering-at-london-zoo-and-whipsnade-wild-animal-park-116.pdf. Retrieved 5 March 2008.
- "London Zoo". Good Zoos. http://www.goodzoos.com/UK%20Zoos/london.htm. Retrieved 5 March 2008.
- ZSL Institute of Zoology 
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: London Zoo|