Louis Mountbatten, 1st Earl Mountbatten of Burma
Admiral of the Fleet Louis Francis Albert Victor Nicholas Mountbatten, 1st Earl Mountbatten of Burma, KG GCB OM GCSI GCIE GCVO DSO PC FRS (born Prince Louis of Battenberg; 25 June 1900 – 27 August 1979), known informally as Lord Mountbatten, was a British statesman and naval officer, an uncle of Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, and second cousin once removed to Elizabeth II.
In 1979, along with three other people, including a grandson Nicholas, he was assassinated by the Provisional Irish Republican Army (IRA), which planted a bomb in his fishing boat, Shadow V, at Mullaghmore, County Sligo, in Ireland.
References[change | change source]
Other websites[change | change source]
Media related to Louis Mountbatten, 1st Earl Mountbatten of Burma at Wikimedia Commons
- Mountbatten at unit-histories.com
- Combined operations information
- Information on the sinking of the German submarine U-35
- Mountbatten assassination information
- mountbattenofburma.com - Tribute & Memorial web-site to Louis, 1st Earl Mountbatten of Burma
- The Mountbatten School
- Mountbatten Internship Programme