Maria Bethânia Viana Teles Velloso (born June 18, 1946 in Santo Amaro da Purificação, Bahia), known by her stage name Maria Bethânia, is a Brazilian singer-songwriter. Her brother is the singer Caetano Veloso.
Career[change | change source]
Her career began in 1965 after moving to Rio de Janeiro. She made her debut in the show Opinião. The same year she signed a contract with RCA Records and released her first album: Maria Bethãnia. In 1978 she was the first female singer in Brazil to have sold over a million CD's with her album: Álibi.[source?]
References[change | change source]
- "Maria Bethânia .::. Fã Clube Rosa dos Ventos". Retrieved 24 January 2010.
- "Perfis / Maria Bethânia". caras.uol.com.br. Archived from the original on 6 March 2013. Retrieved 12 February 2013.
- "Abelha-rainha da Música Popular Brasileira, Maria Bethânia lança o 50º álbum de sua carreira". saraivaconteudo.com.br. 2 April 2012. Archived from the original on 2 January 2014. Retrieved 6 February 2013.
- "Os 10 artistas nacionais que mais venderam discos". mundodse.com. 27 June 2012. Retrieved 6 February 2013.
Other websites[change | change source]
- Official Website Archived 2005-06-23 at the Wayback Machine (in Portuguese)
- Revista Veja - A nação das cantoras Archived 2013-04-20 at the Wayback Machine (in Portuguese)
- All Music Guide profile[permanent dead link]