Martin Henry Balsam (November 4, 1919 – February 13, 1996) was an American actor. He is known for his Oscar-winning role as Arnold Burns in A Thousand Clowns and his role as Detective Milton Arbogast in Psycho. He also starred in All the President's Men.
Balsam was born on November 4, 1919 in The Bronx, New York City to Jewish parents. He studied at DeWitt Clinton High School and at The New School.
Balsam was married to Pearl Somner from 1952 until they divorced in 1854. Then he was married to Joyce Van Patten from 1957 until they divorced in 1962. Then he was married to Irene Miller from 1963 until they divorced in 1987. His elder daughter Talia Balsam, is by Van Patten. His son and younger daughter are by Miller.
Balsam died on February 13, 1996 from a heart attack in Rome, Italy, aged 73. He was later buried at Cedar Park Cemetery in Emerson, New Jersey.
References[change | change source]
- ↑ "Balsam, Martin Henry". Who Was Who in America : with World Notables, v. XI (1993-1996). New Providence, N.J.: Marquis Who's Who. 1996. p. 13. ISBN 0837902258.
- ↑ "Sometimes the Grave Is a Fine and Public Place". New York Times. March 28, 2004.
Other websites[change | change source]
- 1919 births
- 1996 deaths
- Academy Award winning actors
- Actors from New York City
- American movie actors
- American radio actors
- American stage actors
- American television actors
- Television personalities from New York City
- American voice actors
- Deaths from myocardial infarction
- Jewish American actors
- Tony Award winning actors