Mimili, South Australia
|Elevation:||500 m (1,640 ft)|
|Location:||70 km (43 mi) west of Stuart Highway|
|LGA:||Aṉangu Pitjantjatjara Yankunytjatjara|
Mimili is an Aboriginal community in the Aṉangu Pitjantjatjara Yankunytjatjara Lands in South Australia. It is located in the Everard Ranges, about 70 kilometres (43 mi) west of the Stuart Highway. According to the local Aṉangu, the place has always been called Mimili. The current settlement was built around a cattle station called Everard Park, which was built by White farmers in the 1920s. The station's land was given back to the local Aborigines by the South Australian government in 1972.
There were 283 people living at Mimili in the 2006 census. The residents are mainly Aṉangu people who speak either Pitjantjatjara or Yankunytjatjara as their first language. The 2001 census data showed that Mimili had the lowest average weekly income per person (AU$172 compared with the South Australian average of AU$345). However, it also had one of the state's highest proportions of residents under the age of 15 (32.6%); and the state's highest ratio of single-parent families (36.0% compared with a statewide average of 15.6%).
Mimili has an airstrip, and a small health facility. There is also a general store and a craft facility where art is made and displayed. A diesel generator supplies electricity to the community. Water is stored in tanks and comes from two bores. A police station was built in 2011, and state police are stationed there permanently. The local school has about 60 children. Attendance at the school benefited from the construction of a swimming pool, opened in October 2006.
References[change | change source]
- Egoz, Shelley (2011). The Right to Landscape: Contesting Landscape and Human Rights. Ashgate Publishing, Ltd. p. 131. ISBN 9781409404446. Unknown parameter
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (25 October 2007). "Mimili (L) (Urban Centre/Locality)". 2006 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 6 October 2011.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics. "2001 Census Data".
- Cheesman, Emily (8 March 2007). "Mimili 'Mimili Pool' Shared Responsibility Agreement (SRA)". Agreements, Treaties and Negotiated Settlements Project. Indigenous Studies Program, The University of Melbourne.
- Australian Government, Department of Families, Community Services and Indigenous Affairs (28 October 2006). "Pool delivers change in Mimili". Press release. Archived from the original on 27 September 2007. https://web.archive.org/web/20070927191846/http://www.facsia.gov.au/Internet/Minister3.nsf/content/mimili_pool_28oct06.htm.