The Washington Nationals are the professional baseball team based in Washington, D.C., United States. They compete in Major League Baseball (MLB). The Nationals are a member of the Eastern Division of the National League. They are called "The Nats" for short.
The franchise was founded in 1969 and at that time they played in Montreal, Quebec as the Montreal Expos. They were the first MLB team in Canada and were the only such team until the Toronto Blue Jays began to play in 1977. There was a strong rivalry between these two teams. Since the Expos moved to Washington in 2004, the Blue Jays are now the only team outside the United States.
The Nationals played in their first World Series games in 2019 against the Houston Astros, and they won at 4-3 to clinch their first ever World Series title in their franchise history. The other baseball team from Washington, D.C. recently won the World Series title was in 1924 as Washington Senators.
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Washington Nationals.|
- Official site of the Washington Nationals Archived 2007-01-19 at the Wayback Machine
- Washington Nationals Roster
- FOX Sports - Washington Nationals Team Front
- Expos New Name: Nationals (TSN) Archived 2006-02-08 at the Wayback Machine
- New Stadium Construction Camera Archived 2008-07-01 at the Wayback Machine