Names for ordinal numbers
Here are some words for small ordinal numbers. Words in bold are irregular.
When writing other numbers between 21 and 99, only use the cardinal form of the last number. Also, you must use a hyphen (-).
- 21: twenty-first
- 64: sixty-fourth
- 99: ninety-ninth
The ordinal number 100 is written as "one hundredth", but sometimes people say "the hundredth".
To write a number from 100 to 999:
- First write how many hundreds.
- If nothing is left over, write the word "hundredth".
- If anything is left over, write the word "hundred", then write whatever is left over. Some times people use "and" to show the left overs.
- 101: one hundred first
- 102: one hundred second (or one hundred and second)
- 175: one hundred seventy-fifth
- 200: two hundredth
- 300: three hundredth
- 512: five hundred twelfth
- 987: nine hundred eighty-seventh
You can also write ordinal numbers by writing the number, then the ending (-st, -nd, -rd, or -th) from above.