Naruto is a Japanese manga and anime series created by Masashi Kishimoto. It follows the journey of the eponymous orphaned ninja who dreams to become "Hokage". The Hokage is the strongest ninja and the leader for the village, called Konoha (meaning "leaf" in Japanese). Throughout the series, Naruto and his friends begin to solve the ancient history of the ninja world. He learns the Rasengan, the jutsu... that makes a person become hokage. Here are the team members or friends in his team and teacher: Members: Saske Uchiha Sakura Naruto Uzumaki. Teacher/leader: Kakashi Hatake
|Genre||Action, Adventure, fantasy|
|Naruto (pilot chapter)|
|Written by||Masashi Kishimoto|
|Written by||Masashi Kishimoto|
|Magazine||Weekly Shōnen Jump|
|Original run||September 21, 1999 – November 10, 2014|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Hayato Date|
|Written by||Katsuyuki Sumisawa|
|Music by||Musashi Project|
|Network||TXN (TV Tokyo)|
|Original run||October 3, 2002 – February 8, 2007|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Hayato Date|
|Written by||Junki Takegami|
(Episodes #1–289, #296–500)
|Music by||Yasuharu Takanashi|
|Network||TXN (TV Tokyo)|
|Original run||February 15, 2007 – March 23, 2017|
The manga was first published in 1999 in a Japanese magazine called Shonen Jump. It was also translated into English. The anime series premiered in October 2002. In the United States, it started in September 2005.
- 1 Plot
- 2 Ninja Ranks
- 3 Cast
- 3.1 Naruto Uzumaki
- 3.2 Sasuke Uchiha
- 3.3 Sakura Haruno
- 3.4 Kakashi Hatake
- 3.5 Sai
- 3.6 Yamato
- 3.7 Hidden Leaf Village
- 3.8 Antagonists
- 4 Comics
- 5 Growth and popularity
- 6 Anime
- 7 Video games
- 8 Online games
- 9 Notes
- 10 References
- 11 Other websites
Plot[change | change source]
Part I[change | change source]
Twelve years ago, a powerful fox known as the Nine Tails rampaged in Hidden Leaf Village until the Fourth Hokage Minato Namikaze and his wife Kushina Uzumaki sacrificed themselves to seal the monster within their newborn son Naruto Uzumaki. Naruto was kept in the dark of being a jinchuriki, a tailed beast's human host, with most of the villagers ostracizing him. Through Naruto learns the truth, it only strengthened his resolve to become the next Hokage and earn everyone's respect. Shortly afterwards, Naruto graduates as a gennin in Team 7, composed of himself, his rival Sasuke Uchiha who seeks to avenge his clan's slaughter by his older brother Itachi, and a girl named Sakura Haruno whom he has a crush. Led by the elite ninja Kakashi Hatake, a student of Minato's, Team 7 took several missions, including a major one in the Land of Waves, before earning the right to participate in the Chunnin exam along their classmates and Gaara from the Hidden Sand Village.
During the exams, Naruto and Sasuke were respectively approached by two of the Third Hokage's former Legendary Sannin students: The toad sage Jiraiya and the wanted criminal Orochimaru to used the Hidden Sand to execute an attack on his former home and managed to kill the Third Hokage in a battle that cost him a fraction of his soul. During that time, Gaara revealed to be the jinchuriki of the One Tail, Naruto defeats him and changes his nihilistic perspective as the Hidden Sand ninja learn Orochimaru murdered their leader: Gaara's father the Fourth Kazekage Rasa. Following Naruto's encounter with the rogue ninja known as the Akatsuki, which Itachi is a member of, Jiraiya convinces his former teammate Tsunade to become the Fifth Hokage.
However, disillusioned with the Hidden Leaf after being easily defeated by Itachi, Sasuke allowed himself to escorted by Orochimaru's Sound Ninja Four as part of Orochimaru's scheme to use a soul transference jutsu to take Sasuke's body as his own. When Naruto and his friends are able to defeat the Sound Four and Kimimaro, they ultimately failed in their mission though Orochimaru was forced by the delay to take another body instead. Naruto and Sakura refuse to give up on Sasuke, the former leaving with Jiraiya to undergo training to prepare him for both the Akatsuki and next time he encounters Sasuke.
Part II[change | change source]
Two and a half years later, Naruto reunites with Sakura who became a skilled medic ninja under Tsunade's guidance as they and Kakashi form Team Kakashi with Sai and Yamato as their newest members as the Akatsuki begins abducting jinchuriki with Gaara losing the One Tail to them. At the same time, Sasuke eliminates Orochimaru and forms a tracking party to settle things with Itachi. But Itachi suddenly dies with Sasuke realizing from inaccuracies. The Akatsuki's overseer, a masked ninja named Tobi, reveals that Itachi was acting under orders from Konoha's superiors to destroy his clan to prevent a coup after being assured of Sasuke's safety. Saddened by this revelation, Sasuke joins the Akatsuki to destroy Konoha in revenge.
Naruto eventually learns that Jiraiya infiltrated the Hidden Rain Village where the Akatsuki are based and was killed by Pain, whose real identity is Jiraiya's wayward pupil Nagato. As Naruto learns Sage Jutsu while Sasuke's group is sent to acquire the Eight Tails Jinchuriki Killer Bee of the Hidden Cloud Village, Pain and his partner Konan devastate the Hidden Leaf Village before Naruto stops them and redeems Nagato. Soon after, Tobi makes his presence known during a gather of the Kage leadership while claiming himself as Hashirama's rival Madara Uchiha. Tobi reveals his plane to reform the legendary Ten Tails from the nine tailed beasts to subjugate humanity and achieve world peace, declaring war on the Kage when they refuse to help him and instead have their villages form the Allied Shinobi Forces. Naruto confronts Sasuke, adamant to save his former teammate from himself as Sasuke decides to have Itachi's eye implanted in him to awaken his Sharigan's full power.
Besides the army of White Zetsu, one of which used as a host of Black Zetsu, Tobi gains an ally in Orochimaru's former assistant Kabuto Yakushi who altered himself with DNA samples from his mentor and other ninja. Kabuto forces Tobi into an alliance while offering ninja he brought back from the death with a modified version of the Reanimation Jutsu created by the Second Hokage Tobirama Senju. As part of their preparation, the Allied Shinobi keep Naruto in the dark of the war as he and Bee are placed on a secret island turtle with Kisame killed in his act of exposing it locate to Tobi as he acquired the rinnegan eyes that were implanted in Nagato. During that time, Naruto learns safely channel the Nine Tails chakra while learning the truth that the Nine Tails attack was caused by Tobi.
As the war commences, Naruto finds out and escapes from the island with Bee to participate as they confront Tobi after implanting one of the rinnegan in his eye socket. Naruto manages to reach an understanding with the Nine Tails, known as Kurama. Tobi is ultimately revealed to be Obito Uchiha, Kakashi's assumed dead teammate was actually ended up becoming an apprentice of the real Madara, who Kabuto reanimated and remains among the living after the other reanimated ninja return to the afterlife when Kabuto is defeated by Sasuke who learns the truth of his clan's demise from Itachi. Sasuke then revives Orochimaru to reanimate the first four Hokage to learn the full history of the Hidden Leaf, influencing his decision to fight Obito and Madara as they use fragments of the Kurama and the Eight Tails Gyuki to enable the Gedo Statue to revert to its true form as the Ten Tails with Obito becoming its jinchuriki. Through Naruto and Sasuke defeat Obito and extract the tailed beasts, Madara has Black Zetsu possess Obito and force him into fully resurrecting him as he regains his rinnegan and absorbs the Ten Tails and the tailed beasts while fatally wounding Naruto and Sasuke.
But the two youths are brought back to life by both the actions of Minato transferring his fragment Kurama into his Naruto and Kabuto healing Sasuke's wounds, the two meeting the Sage of Six Paths Hagoromo Otsutsuki who reveals his mother, an alien being named Kaguya Otsutsuki who is the core of the Ten Tails, is the true mastermind behind Madara's actions. Revealing their chakra to be the incarnations of his sons Ashura and Indra, who previously were reborn as Hashirama and Madara, Hagoromo awakens Naruto and Sasuke's full potential as only thety, Kakashi, Obito, and Sakura escape Madara's global subjugation. Black Zetsu, revealed to be a construct of Kaguya, possesses Madara and transfigures him into Kaguya's vessel. Obito sacrifices himself to help Team 7 defeat Kaguya and extract the tailed beasts before sealing her and Black Zetsu away, Madara dying as a result.
Sasuke takes advantage of the situation and captures the Tailed Beasts, intending on desttoying them and current village system. Naruto confronts Sasuke and manages to dissuade him after they nearly kill each other in a final battle so they restore everyone soon after. Following the war, Kakashi becomes the Sixth Hokage with a pardoned Sasuke becoming a wandering ninja to help those in need and learn more of the Otsutsuki clan.
Boruto[change | change source]
Years later, Kakashi steps down while Naruto marries Hinata Hyuga and becomes the Seventh Hokage with his Boruto Uzumaki possessing a special eye technique that played a role in uncovering a plot by the daughter of a former Root member whom he redeems. Boruto joins a ninja team under Naruto's childhood protégé Konohamaru Sarutobi, his team mates being Sasuke and Sakura's daughter Sarada Uchiha and Orochimaru's artificial son Mitsuki. Boruto also gains a mentor figure in Sasuke, who returned to the village to warn Naruto of an impending threat by Otsutsuki clansmen that Kaguya created the White Zetsu to fight them. When the Otsutsuki clansmen arrive during the Chunnin Exam, Boruto joins Sasuke and the Kage in saving his father and defeating Momoshiki Otsutsuki who uses his final moments to give Boruto the Karma mark.
Soon after, Naruto and the other learn of a group "Kara" who also seen people with Karma marks, leading to Boruto and his friends meeting a Kara fugitive named Kawaki.
Ninja Ranks[change | change source]
Ninja Student[change | change source]
This is where a beginner learns to be a ninja.
Genin[change | change source]
Basically meaning lower ninja. Rank of missions they are sent to: D and C.
Chunin[change | change source]
Basically meaning middle ninja. Rank of missions they were sent to: C and B.
Jonin[change | change source]
Basically meaning high ninja. Rank of missions they were sent to: B, A, and S rank.
ANBU[change | change source]
They are like ninja black ops and are assassins. They serve the village's Kage.
Cast[change | change source]
Naruto Uzumaki[change | change source]
The eponymous protagonist who is a member of Team 7 and the Jinchuriki of Kurama the Nine Tails, with ambitions of becoming Hokage to gain the villagers' respect and protect everyone. Over the course of the series, revealed to be a descendant of Asura Otsutsuki whose chakra and stamina he inherited, Naruto befriends many foreign and Konoha people and eventually gains a sizable positive impact on their lives to the point where he gains worldwide fame. Naruto eventually achieves his dream of becoming Hokage and start a family with Hinata Hyuga and their children Boruto and Himawari.
Sasuke Uchiha[change | change source]
The series deuteragonist who is a Team 7 member and a surviving member of the Uchiha clan, a powerful ninja clan descended from Indra Otsutsuki known for their Sharingan eyes. Sasuke's sole desire is to avenge his clan, which ultimately mads him turn on the Hidden Leaf once learning the truth until the Fourth Great Ninja War. By the events of the Boruto, lost his arm, Sasuke became wandering vigilante investigating the Otsutsuki clan's influence on the world while aiding Konohagakure.
Sakura Haruno[change | change source]
One of Naruto's friends and a female member of Team 7, serving as the group's medic ninja after being trained by Tsunade. Sakura was initially infatuated with Sasuke while resentful to Naruto, gradually seeing the latter as a friend while eventually marrying Sasuke and raising their daughter Sarada.
Kakashi Hatake[change | change source]
The leader and sensei of Team 7/Team Kakashi, previously a student of Naruto's father's Minato and acquiring a sharigan from his teammate Obito Uchiha. After the Fourth Great Ninja War, Kakashi became the Sixth Hokage and ruled Konoha for many years before abdicating in Naruto's favor
Sai[change | change source]
A ninja who assume Sasuke's place in Team Kakashi in Part II, able to bring his drawings to life. Initially raised to be an emotionless drone by the Foundation's overseer Danzo Shimura, Sai begins becoming more social as he, Naruto and Sakura reach an understanding. In the series epilogue, Sai ends up marrying into the Yamanaka and raising his son Inojin alongside his wife Ino.
Yamato[change | change source]
A ANBU member who becomes a secondary leader in Team Kakashi, revealed to lost his original identity as a result of Orochimaru experimenting on him as a child to recreate Hashirama's wood style. Due to possessing Hashirama's cells, Yamato proved vital in subjugating the Nine Tails whenever Naruto is about to be consumed by the tailed beast chakra.
Hidden Leaf Village[change | change source]
Iruka Umino[change | change source]
An instructor at the Ninja Academy whose lost his parents to Kurama as a child, which mean him feel awkward about being Naruto's teacher despite the Third Hokage's decision due to their similar backgrounds. Iruka ends up being the first person to acknowledge Naruto, becoming a father-figure to the boy.
Konohamaru Sarutobi[change | change source]
The grandson of Third Hokage who looks to Naruto as a mentor in this quest to become Hokage, emulating his work ethic, determination, and signature jutsu such as the Rasengan and the Sexy Jutsu among a variety of other techniques. Konohamaru insists, however, that he will only become Hokage after Naruto has been Hokage first. By the events of the series epilogue, Konohamaru has ascended to the rank of jonin and become a mentor to Naruto's son Boruto.
Hinata Hyuga[change | change source]
One of Naruto's friends and a member of the Hyuga clan, a powerful ninja clan descended from Hamura Otsutsuki known for their Byakugan eyes. Though the firstborn daughter of the main house, Hinata's shyness and inability to stand up for herself resulted in her being disowned by her father Hiashi and replaced with her younger sister Hanabi. Hinata was since placed in the care of Kurenai Yuhi, becoming her gennin pupil alongside Kiba Inuzaka and Shino Abarame as members of Team 8. Hinata also gradually developed feelings for Naruto, whose own determination inspired her to gain confidence in herself, before finally confessing her love for him. Hinata marries Naruto and they have two children by the series epilogue.
Team Asuma[change | change source]
Previously known as Team 10, they are composed of the Third Hokage's son Asama Sarutobi and his three students Shikamaru Nara, Sakura's rival Ino Yamanaka, and Choji Akimichi. Shikamaru and his friends are also the current inheritors of the moniker "Ino-Shika-Cho" moniker, their clans being close allies. During Part II, Asuma is killed by the Akatsuki member Hidan with Shikamaru avenging his mentor as he becomes the group's leader. In the series epilogue, honoring his promise to look after Asuma's daughter Mirai Sarutobi, Shikamaru and his friends each married and are raising their children Shikadai Nara, Chocho Akimichi, and Inojin Yamanaka as the next "Ino-Shika-Cho" group.
Team Guy[change | change source]
A ninja team composed of Kakashi's rival Might Guy and his three students Rock Lee, Hinata's cousin Neja Hyuga, and Tenten. They are a year older than the other Hidden Leaf gennin, as Guy wanted to wait a year before they could take the test to advance in ninja rank and become Chunin. By the end of the series, Neji sacrifice himself to save Naruto and Hinata while the cirital damage Guy took into his ultimate attack forced him into early retirement.
Jiraiya[change | change source]
Naruto's mentor and one of the Three Legendary Sannin, the students of the Third Hokage who gained infamy for surviving the Hidden Rain's Hanzo of the Salamander in battle. He is also known as the "Toad Sage" for having learned Sage jutsu from the Roads of Mt. Myobu, having been told by the elder that his student will become a savior of the world, and also "pervy sage" by Naruto for being the openly lecherous author of a series of best-selling adult romance novels. He also wrote the epic "Tale of the Gutsy Ninja", with Naruto named after its protagonist. During Part I, took Naruto as his student before leaving him in Part II to investigate the Akatsuki and learning it to be lead by his former student Nagato. Jiraiya dies fighting while sending a message to give the Hidden Leaf a chance against Nagato, believing Naruto is the child of the Elder Toad's prophecy.
Hokage[change | change source]
The term Hokage refers to the title of the leader of Konohagakure, with seven in total through the series whose likenesses are craved into the rock formation overlooking Konohagakure.
- Hashirama Senju, the First Hokage, is was the co-founder of Konohagakure and the former leader of Senju Clan. Having experienced the Warring States period firsthand in his childhood, Hashirama wanted to end the conflict and forged a friendship with Madara Uchiha before the youth declared them enemies. Hashirama later convinced Madara to have their clans make peace while finding Konoha. Hashirama later died, being reanimated twice by Orochimaru through the series.
- Tobirama Senju, the Second Hokagem is Hashirama's younger brother and the teacher of Hiruzen Sarutobi who was credited as being the Hokage who created the Hidden Leaf's infrastructure along with various jutsu that include the Shadow Clone Jutsu and the controversial Reanimation Jutsu, which he ended up being subjected to by Orochimaru.
- Hiruzen Sarutobi, the Third Hokage, is the first Hokage introduced in the series. Throughout the series, he acts as a source of wisdom to younger generations; and from the start, is one of the few characters to treat Naruto as a person rather than a jinchuriki. He is also the mentor of the Legendary Sannin, being killed by his wayward student while using the Reaper Death Seal to trap his soul and his three predecessors into the reaper's stomach along with part of Orochimaru's soul. During the Fourth Great Ninja War, Orochimaru releases Hiruzen's soul from the Death Seal and reanimates him so Sasuke can confirm the events behind the Uchiha Clan Massacre. He later participates in the battle against Obito and Madara alongside the other resurrected Hokage, before being put to rest following Kaguya's defeat.
- Minato Namikaze, the Fourth Hokage, is Naruto Uzumaki's father who is also Kakashi's teacher and Jiraiya's student who perfected Tobirama's Flying Thunder God teleportation Jutsu. Before the start of the series, after battling Tobi, Minato siphons Kurama's Yin chakra to weaken the beast to be sealed into Naruto's body in a sacrificial act so that only his son can access the Nine-Tails' yang chakra. Reanimated years later as a Nine Tails Jinchuriki by Orochimaru, Minato reunited with Naruto and eventually transfer the Nine Tails' yin chakra to his son before returning to the afterlife.
- Tsunade, the Fifth Hokage, is the Hokage for most of the series, being an appearance of the Third Hokage and member of the Senju clan through her grandfather Hashirama who possesses superhuman strength and uses a transformation technique to maintain her youthful appearance. Tsunade initially wanted no involvement with the Hokage as her younger brother Nawaki and her boyfriend Dan Kato both died pursing that dream. But regains her faith after meeting Naruto Uzumaki and becomes Hokage while passing her skills to Sakura and Ino. By the end of the series, Tsunade retires at the end of the Fourth Great Ninja War and bestows the Hokage title to Kakashi.
Danzo Shimura[change | change source]
A Hidden Leaf resident who is the leader of the Foundation, a covert organization secretly oversee their village's security along with his personal goal to become a Hokage. Having considered Hiruzen and his successors weak-minded, Danzo's action caused numerous events that include the Uchiha Massacre, enlisting Orochimaru to augment his graft his right arm with multiple Sharingan eyes and Hashirama's cells. Though Danzo got named Acting Candidate Sixth Hokage during Tsunade's coma, he ends up being fatally wounded by Sasuke with his death leading to the Foundation's disbandment in the aftermath of the Fourth Great Ninja War.
Antagonists[change | change source]
Zabuza Momochi[change | change source]
One of Naruto's first opponents and a former member of Hidden Mist's Seven Swordsmen of the Mist, a group of ninja that use particularly large swords in battle. Infamous for slaughtering his whole class as part of a graduation ritual, Zabuza possesses a large sword called the Executioner's Blade which can repair itself by absorbing the iron from blood. Zabuza and his apprentice Haku, a possessor of the Ice-Style Kekkei Genkai, ends up rogue ninja after a failed coup d'état of the Fourth Mizukage and become mercenary assassins to fund another attempt under the employ of a crime boss named Gato. But meeting Team 7, and being betrayed by Gato, resulted in Zabuza's death as he and Haku were reanimated by Kabuto during the Fourth Great Ninja War.
Orochimaru[change | change source]
A criminal who served as the principal villain of Part I, Hiruzen's wayward student who previously joined the Akatsuki and associated himself with Danzo. Orochimaru's desire for immortality so he can learn every justu in existence led him to experimenting on his fellow ninja before establishing his own ninja village, the Hidden Sound Village, as both his personal laboratory to continue his work while amassing a personal army to destroy Konoha with. His immortality technique involves transferring his consciousness between different host bodies every few years, with his intent to acquire the body of Sasuke Uchiha being his driving motivations throughout most of the series. Following end of Part II, through kept under watch by Yamato, Orochimaru renounced his personal war against the Hidden Leaf Village while creating Mitsuki.
Kabuto Yakushi[change | change source]
Orochimaru's right hand and spy, being proficient enough in medical ninjutsu to manipulate cells. Kabuto was initially a Foundation infiltrator who had no memory of his past and taken in by Orochimaru when Danzo considered him a security risk, Kabuto uses his skills to gather intel on various groups on Orochimaru's behalf. After Orochimaru was subdued, Kabuto decides to become master of his destiny by mastering Snake Sage jutsu while integrating some of Orochimaru's remains into his body along with DNA samples of Sound Five, Jugo, Suigetsu, and Karin. Kabuto also perfects the Reanimation Jutsu, forcing an alliance with Tobi with Sasuke as payment for his surfaces. But Kabuto ends up being defeated and re-evaluating his life choices as he decides to save Sasuke. In the war's aftermath, kept under surveillance by the Hidden Leaf, Kabuto returned to run the orphanage where he was held when he was a kid together with his adopted brother Urushi.
Itachi Uchiha[change | change source]
A rouge Hidden Leaf ninja who joined the Akatsuki after slaughtering his clan, having been portrayed as a villain. But post-mortem, Itachi is revealed to be loyal to the Hidden Leaf and only killed his family became they threatened to attempt a coup d'état under order from Danzo with Tobi assisting him. Itachi accepts the task on the condition Sasuke is spared, having planned to have Sasuke kill him. Itachi maintain his loyalty to the Hidden Leaf by secretly spying on the Akatsuki, being partnered to Kisame while a member.
Akatsuki[change | change source]
The primary antagonistic force of the second part of the Naruto series, was founded by Jiraiya's students Yahiko, Nagato and Konan as a peacekeeping group in the Hidden Rain before a tragedy orchestrated by Danzo allowed Tobi to rebrand it as hired mercenaries compromised of rogue ninja. The Akatsuki, with Nagato now a figurehead leader assuming their goal is force everyone to understand suffering for the sake of true peace, acts on Madara's Project Tsuki no Me (Moon's Eye) to feed the tailed beasts to the Gedo Statue and cast an Infinite Tsukiyomi to subjugate all of humanity.
- Nagato, primarily known by his alias Pain with Madara's eyes implanted on him when he was a child, is the Akatsuki's figurehead and partner of Konan. The "Pain" that is most often seen in the series and used is the Deva Path, who is actually the corpse of Nagato's deceased friend Yahiko who was the Akatsuki's founding leader with them and Konan being war orphans who learned ninjutsu from Jiraiya. After being crippled following Yahiko's death, Nagato uses six modified corpses known as the Six Paths of Pain as proxies that each use a sixth of his full power. After killing Jiraiya, Nagato led an attack on the Hidden Leaf with Naruto defeating his Paths and managing to restore Nagato's faith in Jiraiya's teachings as he sacrifices himself to use a jutsu Tobi intended for Madara's resurrection. Tobi later desecrates Nagato's resting place to acquire the Rinnegan, which Madara later reclaim, with Kabuto reanimating Nagato for the Fourth Great Ninja War before being sealed by Itachi.
- Konan, the Akatski's only female member and Nagato's childhood friend. While under Jiraiya, Konan learned to take advantage of her natural talent with origami, using it as a key component in her fighting style. After Nagato's death, Konan withdraws her position from Akatsuki and later battles Tobi when he comes for the Rinnegan eyes, ultimately killed off after her suicidal assault failed.
- Kisame Hoshigaki, a rogue ninja from the Hidden Mist Village who is partnered to Itachi Uchiha. As one of the Seven Swordsmen of the Mist, Kisame uses a living scaled sword called Sharkskin which absorbs untold amounts of an opponent's chakra and transfer it to Kisame to give him an infinite amount of stamina. His reason of joining the Akatsuki was to see a world without lies, later going after Killer Bee before his mission changed to infiltration before he commits suicide upon capture while sending the jinchurikis' location to Tobi.
- Sasori, a rogue Hidden Sand puppet ninja known as "Sasori of the Red Sand" due to his talent in poison making. Raised by his grandmother Chiyo after his parents were killed by Kakashi's father Sakumo Hatake, Sasori's obsession of making things that last forever allowed him to develops a means of converting human corpses into puppets who abilities in life he can use. Sasoei left his village, abducting the Third Kazekage and made him into his primary weapon after lacing his iron sand with poison. Sasori later converted his own body into a puppet that conceals in his armored body puppet Hiruko, becoming essentially mortal while controlling hundreds of puppets at once. After joining the Akatsuki, Sasori was paired with Orochimaru and then Deidara as they capture Gaara so the One Tail can be extracted from him. But Sasori ends up being killed, his puppet body used by Kankuro.
- Deidara, a rogue Hidden Stone ninja who made a living as a terrorist bomber-for-hire with his clay explosives before Itachi Uchiha forced him to join the Akatsuki. Though he came to embrace the organization, partnered to Sasori and then Tobi, Deidara developed a grudge against the Uchiha clan in general as he feels their Sharingan eyes look down on his artwork. After playing a role in Gaara's capture and the capture of the Three Tails, Deidara battles Sasuke and ends up blowing himself up in a final attempt to kill his opponent. Deidera is later reanimated by Kabuto during the Fourth Great Ninja War before being defeated by Kankuro.
- Hidan, a sadomasochistic rouge ninja from the Hidden Boiling Water Village who is armed with a scythe and partnered to Kakuzu. As member of a death cult known as the Way of Jashin, Hidan became immortal while developing ritualist techniques that allow him to murder his opponent by inflicting fatal injuries on himself. Hidan became an enemy of Shikamaru after murdering Asama, ending up being disemembered and buried in the Nara's family forest.
- Kakuzu, a rouge ninja from the Hidden Waterfall Village and Hidan's partner. Having lived during the First Hokage's time, Kakuzu mastered a forbidden jutsu that causes his body to be held together by black threats and assimilate up to five hearts to prolong his life indefinitely. While greed has him serve as the Akatsuki's treasurer and bounty hunter, he killed a majority of his partners before being paired up with the immortal Hidan. Kakuzu's hearts are systematically destroyed during his fight against the Hidden Leaf ninja, with Kakashi finishing him off after Naruto leaves his final heart on the brink of failure. Kakuzu is later reanimated during the Fourth Great Ninja War before being sealed.
Obito Uchiha[change | change source]
Also known a Tobi, he is the Akatsuki's true leader primary antagonist for most of Part II. Similar to Naruto as a child during the Third Great Ninja War, he gave his left eye to his teammate Kakashi when it appear he was about to die. Despite his apparent demise, Obito was saved by Madara who replaced the damaged parts of his body with Zetsu prosthetics while conditioning him to become his apprentice, the ninja arranging Obito to witness the death of Rin Nohara as a war casualty by a reluctant Kakashi to break his spirit. Coming to the conclusion that he can use the Tailed Beasts to destroy the current reality and create a utopia, Obito takes up Madara's name and manipulated events that let to the creation of the current from of the Akatsuki and the Nine Tails' attack on the Hidden Leave Village out of spite towards his former mentor Minato. Other than being able to use his right Sharingan to manipulate Kamui in a fashion that made it seem he is intangible and teleport over great distances, Obito can use Wood Style attacks as his prosthetics possess Hashirama's cells. After being defeated and his faithin the world restored, regaining the sharingan he gave Kakashi, Obito dies protecting Team 7 from Kaguya and remains among the living long enough to help Kakashi in spirit.
Madara Uchiha[change | change source]
One of the co-founders of the Hidden Leaf Village alongside his childhood friend and mortal enemy Hashirama Senju, the two later revealed to be reincarnations of their clans' founding ancestors Indra and Asura prior to Sasuke and Naruto. Madara is a vengeful and arrogant cynic who resented the Senju for killing his brothers during the Warring States Period, eventually accepting Hashirama's peace offer before eventually becoming disillusioned with him since he realized he had no place in the Hidden Leaf Village. This influenced Madara to attempt to destroy the Hidden Leaf with the Nine Tails before being defeated by Hashirama, faking his death and using Hashirama's blood to awake his Rinnegan and summon the Gedo Statue to prolong his life. Madara eventually dies after making Obito Uchiha as his agent, having transplanted his Rinnegan into Nagato to be preserved for his planned resurrection. Despite a few setbacks, Madara resurrects and makes himself into the Ten Tails jinchuriki to carry out his plan before betrayed by Black Zetsu and made into a vessel for Kaguya. Though freed upon Kaguya being resealed, the ordeal placed a regretful Madara on the verge of death and dies finally making peace with Hashirama.
Kaguya Otsutsuki[change | change source]
The central underlying antagonist of the Naruto series and a member of the main family of the Otsutsuki clan, a race of alien ninja whose branch family's descendants include the Senju, the Uchiha, and the Hyuga. Having decides to protect the world rather than feed off it like her kin, Kaguya becomes an extension of the world's Divine Tree as she established her ideal of world peace. But Kaguya eventually loses trust in humanity as she convert some humans assimilated by the Divine Tree into her personal army of White Zetsu as a defense against her kinsmen, leading into a confrontation with her half-human twin sons Hagoromo and Hamura upon learning they inherited her chakra. Kaguya ended up merging into the Divine Tree and transforming it into the Ten-Tails before being sealed in the moon when captured by Hagoromo and reduced to the corpse-like Gedo Statue while her extracted chakra is splintered into the nine Tailed Beasts. But Kaguya created Black Zetsu at the last second to orchestrate her return through Indra and the Uchiha Clan with Madara Uchiha ultimately becoming her vessel once serving her purpose. But Naruto and Sasuke, with their team's help, manage to reseal Kaguya with the tailed beasts and Madara extracted from her body.
- Zetsu, the only inhuman member of the Akatsuki who serves as their spy and entrusted to dispose of deceased Akatsuki members or those that the organization does not want found. Zetsu is actually composed to two beings, the first being a shadow-like symbiote known as Black Zetsu, created by Kaguya to manipulate her grandson Indra and his descendants before Madara manifested a Rinnegan to serve as means of freeing Kaguya. Black Zetsu pretended to Madara's construct while bonded to a White Zetsu, one of the thousands of former humans that had been assimilated within the Gedo Statue as plant-like drone soldiers. After White Zetsu is killed by Sasuke during the Fourth Great Ninja War, Black Zetsu eventually latches onto Obito and then Madara before being sealed away with Kaguya.
- Tobi, also known as "Gurguru", is a White Zetsu that served as Obito's exoskeleton while coping with his new body and served as the inspiration for Obito's Tobi guise. Tobi participates in the Fourth Great Ninja war bby encasing Yamato to access his Wood-Style before ejecting him once Madara succeeds in casting the Infinite Tsukiyomi, is last seen crumbling after the jutsu is canceled with his former captive the only witness to his death.
Comics[change | change source]
The 'Naruto' series has seventy two volumes.
Growth and popularity[change | change source]
The manga series ran up to seventy two volumes. It became one of the most popular manga and anime.[source?] Since it began, a lot of Naruto fansites (websites made by people who like it a lot) were made with detailed information, guides, forums and card games.
Anime[change | change source]
The series for the first part aired from 2002 to 2007 and the second part from 2007 to 2017. Some episodes and anime movies for the series are not based on the manga.
Original video animations[change | change source]
All original video animations (OVAs) have been released.
- Find the Crimson Four-Leaf Clover! (2003).
- Mission: Protect the Waterfall Village! (2004).
- Konoha Annual Sports Festival. (2004)
- Finally a clash! Jonin VS Genin!! Indiscriminate grand melee tournament meeting!! (2005)
- Shippū! "Konoha Gakuen" Den (2008).
- Naruto: The Cross Roads (2010).
- Naruto, The Genie, and The Three Wishes!! (2010).
- Naruto x UT (2011).
- Chūnin Exam on Fire! Naruto vs. Konohamaru! (2011)
- Naruto Shippūden: Sunny Side Battle!!! (2014).
- The Day Naruto Became Hokage (2016).
Video games[change | change source]
The series has most games based on the manga.
Online games[change | change source]
Websites for the game included Ninja Classic and Naruto-Arena.
Notes[change | change source]
- Pseudonym for Toshiyuki Tsuru
- Credited as シリーズディレクター (Series Director)
- Credited as コンセプトワーク (Conception Work)
References[change | change source]
- "The Official Website for Naruto". Viz Media. Retrieved October 24, 2017.
- "Naruto Jump Festa Collection". Madman.com.au. Archived from the original on April 6, 2016. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Naruto OVA". Archived from the original on March 9, 2017. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Naruto The Movie: Ninja Clash in the Land of Snow (Deluxe Edition) (DVD)". Archived from the original on January 14, 2016. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Naruto -ナルト- ナルティメットヒーロー3" [Naruto – Narutimate Hero 3] (in Japanese). Archived from the original on April 5, 2016. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "風影奪還の章 | TV DVD | NARUTO-ナルト- 疾風伝 | アニプレックス" [Chapter of the Temporary Recovery | TV DVD | NARUTO – Naruto – Shippuden | Aniplex]. Aniplex. Archived from the original on September 11, 2016. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Naruto, Toriko, One Piece Event Anime Shorts Streamed". Anime News Network. November 30, 2009. Archived from the original on November 8, 2016. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "劇場版NARUTO ナルト そよ風伝 ナルトと魔神と3つのお願いだってばよ!! : 作品情報 - 映画.com" [Naruto theatrical version Naruto breeze and the devil and three wishings !!: Work information – Eiga.com] (in Japanese). Eiga. Archived from the original on March 3, 2017. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "News: Naruto Anime DVD Offered at Uniqlo T-Shirt Stores". Anime News Network. December 20, 2010. Archived from the original on November 6, 2016. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "炎の中忍試験!ナルトVS木ノ葉丸!!" [Naruto test of fire! Naruto vs. Konoha Maru !!]. シネマトゥデイ (in Japanese). Archived from the original on May 17, 2013. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm Revolution to Bundle Anime". Anime News Network. Archived from the original on March 3, 2017. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "BORUTO -NARUTO THE MOVIE- | 劇場版 DVD | NARUTO-ナルト- 疾風伝 | アニプレックス" [BORUTO -NARUTO THE MOVIE- | Theatrical Version DVD | NARUTO-Naruto Shippuden | Aniplex]. Aniplex. Archived from the original on December 26, 2016. Cite uses deprecated parameter
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Naruto|