National Assembly of Azerbaijan
|National Assembly of Azerbaijan
Azərbaycan Milli Məclisi
|4th legislature (since November 7, 2010)|
Speaker of the National Assembly of Azerbaijan
Ogtay Asadov, New Azerbaijan Party
Since December 2, 2005
|New Azerbaijan Party (72)
Civic Solidarity Party (3)
Motherland Party (2)
|7 November 2010|
|Milli Majlis building, Baku, Azerbaijan|
The National Assembly (Azerbaijani: Milli Məclis), is the legislature of the government in Azerbaijan. It is in the capital Baku. The unicameral National Assembly has 125 members who are directly elected in general elections by the people for a five-year term and can be re-elected without any limit.
Previously 100 members were elected for five-year terms in single-seat constituencies and 25 members were elected by proportional representation. However during the latest election, all 125 members were elected from single-member constituencies.
The National Assembly is headed by the Speaker of the National Assembly of Azerbaijan assisted by the First Deputy Speaker and two deputy speakers. Ogtay Asadov is the current speaker of the National Assembly, Ziyafet Asgarov is the First Deputy Speaker and, Bahar Muradova and Valeh Alasgarov are deputy speakers.
Speakers of the National Assembly (Supreme Soviet to 1991, National Council 1991–1992) of Azerbaijan[change | change source]
- Elmira Gafarova February 5, 1991–March 5, 1992.
- Yagub Mammadov March 5, 1992–May 18, 1992
- Isa Gambar May 18, 1992–June 13, 1993
- Heydar Aliyev June 24, 1993–November 5, 1993
- Rasul Guliyev November 1993–November 24, 1995
- Rasul Guliyev November 24, 1995–September 11, 1996
- Murtuz Alasgarov October 16, 1996–November 24, 2000
- Murtuz Alasgarov November 24, 2000–2005
- Ogtay Asadov - December 2, 2005–November 29, 2010
- Ogtay Asadov - November 29, 2010–Present
Parliamentary Committees[change | change source]
The National Assembly has 11 parliamentary committees (groups formed by the members of parliament):
- Legal Policies and State Structuring Committee
- Defense and Security Committee
- Economimic Policies Committee
- Committee on Natural Resources, Energy and Ecology
- Committee on Agrarian Policies
- Social Policies Committee
- Committee on Regional Issues
- Committee on Science and Education
- Committee on Cultural Issues
- International and Interparliamentary Relations Committee
- Human Rights Committee
Related pages[change | change source]
Other websites[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- "Milli Məclisin tarixi. Azərbaycan Xalq Cümhuriyyəti Parlamenti (1918-1920-ci illər)" [The history of Milli Majlis. Parliament of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic (1918-1920)]. Retrieved 2010-12-01.
- "Milli Məclisin tərkibi. Rəhbərlik" [National Assembly. Administration]. Retrieved December 7, 2010.
- Gafarova became Chairman of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet on June 22, 1989
- "Daimi komissiyalar. Komitələr" [Permanent Commissions. Committees]. Retrieved 2010-12-01.
- "Milli Məclisin orqanları" [Components of Milli Majlis]. Retrieved 2010-12-01.