National Diet Library
|Type||National Library, Parliamentary Library|
|Reference to legal mandate||National Diet Library Law|
|Coordinates||35°40′42″N 139°44′39″E / 35.67833°N 139.74417°ECoordinates: 35°40′42″N 139°44′39″E / 35.67833°N 139.74417°E|
|Items collected||books, journals, newspapers, electronic archives, manuscripts, official publications, doctoral dissertations, maps, sheet music|
|Size||41,881,649 items (March 2016)|
|Criteria for collection||Publications issued in Japan, statutes and parliamentary documents, publications on Japan, reference material, material on science and technology, publications of international organizations and foreign governments, children's literature and related material, Asian works|
|Legal deposit||legal deposit|
|Access and use|
|Access requirements||eighteen years of age or older for the Tokyo Main Library and the Kansai-kan|
|Population served||members of the Diet (722: fixed number as of Feb. 2009) and the general public|
|Budget||JP¥20,163M (FY2008) (US$221M)|
|Director||Sawako Hanyu (2016)|
The National Diet Library (国立国会図書館, Kokuritsu Kokkai Toshokan) is the only national library in Japan. It was established in 1948.
The purpose of the library is to assist members of the Diet of Japan (国会, Kokkai). The library is similar in purpose and scope to the U.S. Library of Congress.
The National Diet Library has two main facilities. One is in Tokyo and the other is in Kyoto. There are also several branch libraries in Japan.
Related pages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- ↑ "National Diet Library Statistics". 2017. Retrieved 9 September 2017.
- ↑ "Sawako Hanyu appointed new Librarian of the National Diet Library". National Diet Library. Archived from the original on 2016-07-31. Retrieved 2016-12-12.
- ↑ Pincus, Leslie. (2006). "Revolution in the Archives of Memory: The Founding of the National Diet Library in Occupied Japan" in Francis X. Blouin and William G. Rosenberg, eds. Archives, Documentation, and Institutions of Social Memory: Essays from the Sawyer Seminar, p. 382.
Other websites[change | change source]
Media related to National Diet Library at Wikimedia Commons
- NDL Japanese website
- NDL English website
- NDL Digital Archive Portal (English)
- Kansai-kan of the NDL (English)
- Digital Library from the Meiji Era (English summary only) Archived 2005-10-13 at the Wayback Machine
- Digital Library from the Meiji Era (Japanese)
- Rare Books Image Database (Japanese) Archived 2005-08-31 at the Wayback Machine
- NDL image viewer Archived 2006-01-13 at the Wayback Machine.
- NDL-OPAC Japanese Index Archived 2002-10-02 at Archive.today
- NDL-OPAC English Index Archived 2009-12-11 at Archive-It
- Database of National Diet Minutes (Japanese)
- Database of Imperial Diet Minutes (Japanese)
- NDL Interlibrary Loan Application Procedures Archived 2005-11-19 at the Wayback Machine
- NDL Photoreproduction Service Archived 2005-11-14 at the Wayback Machine
- NDL Portraits of Modern Japanese Historical Figures