New Ecologic and Social People's Union
Nouvelle Union populaire écologique et sociale
|Founded||1 May 2022|
|Colours||Purple Pink Green Yellow Red|
68 / 348
131 / 577
27 / 79
The New Ecologic and Social People's Union (French: Nouvelle Union populaire écologique et sociale, NUPES[a]) is a left-wing alliance of political party in France led by Jean-Luc Mélenchon. It was formed on May Day 2022. Parties supporting this are La France Insoumise (LFI), the Socialist Party (PS), the French Communist Party (PCF), Europe Ecology – The Greens (EELV), Ensemble! (E!), and Génération.s (G.s).
This party was founded for the 2022 French legislative election and its goal was to reject Emmanuel Macron's Ensemble Citoyens on the centre-right a majority in the National Assembly. Some left-wing parties agreed to create a coalition to make Mélenchon the Prime Minister of France.
NUPES won the most seats outside of Ensemble, causing Macron not to have a majority, however they won about 22% of the seats on the National Assembly. They did win 31% of the popular vote, however the far-right National Rally will most likely be the opposition party because NUPES is an alliance of parties. Mélenchon said that NUPES and the French Left should form a united, single group in Parliament.
Notes[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- Bloch, Michel (9 June 2022). "Législatives : voici les quatre scénarios possibles au soir du second tour". Le Journal du dimanche (in French). Retrieved 13 June 2022.
C'est sans aucun doute les élections législatives les plus indécises depuis l'instauration du quinquennat et l'inversion du calendrier électoral en 2002. Le premier tour de la présidentielle a révélé la présence de trois blocs dans le pays (un bloc macroniste de centre-droit, un bloc d'extrême-droite et un bloc de gauche).
- Xu, Xiaofei (2022-06-12). "French parliamentary elections overshadowed by low turnout". CNN. Retrieved 2022-06-13.
- Quay, Grayson (2022-06-12). "10 things you need to know today: June 12, 2022". The Week. Retrieved 2022-06-13.
- "NUPES : que signifie le nouveau label d'union de la gauche pour les législatives ?". TF1 INFO. 2 May 2022. Retrieved 2 May 2022.
- "French left 'a few steps' from broad alliance to counter Macron in parliamentary polls". France 24. 3 May 2022. Retrieved 3 May 2022.
- Stangler, Cole (13 May 2022). "The left has finally got its act together – in France. Watch out, Macron and Le Pen". The Guardian. Retrieved 7 June 2022.
- Caulcutt, Clea (23 May 2022). "Jean-Luc Mélenchon, the rabble-rouser leading the new French left". Politico. Retrieved 7 June 2022.
- "Macron coalition, leftwing bloc neck and neck in first round of French elections". France 24. Agence France-Presse. 12 June 2022. Retrieved 13 June 2022.
The election 'confirms the fact that Ensemble (Macron's coalition) is now the centre-right,' says Mathieu Doiret of FRANCE 24's polling partners Ipsos, noting that the president's camp now draws most of its support from an elderly, centre-right constituency that previously voted for the mainstream conservative party, Les Républicains. Should Macron's coalition fail to win an outright majority, an alliance with the rump of the Républicains is the most likely outcome, Doiret added. 'We have a centre-right majority because elderly people hold the balance of power, because they vote twice as much as the young,' he said. 'That's why Angela Merkel stayed in power for so long in Germany and why Boris Johnson wins in the UK.'
- Kirby, Paul (13 June 2022). "French election: Left surge threatens Macron majority in France". BBC. Retrieved 15 June 2022.
- "' Législatives 2022. ' Nouvelle Union populaire écologique et sociale ' : que sait-on de l'accord LFI-EELV ? '". Le Journal de Saône-et-Loire (in French). 2 May 2022. Retrieved 20 June 2022.
- Caulcutt, Clea (12 June 2022). "French far-left firebrand puts Macron's majority on the line in parliamentary vote". Politico Europe. Retrieved 15 June 2022.
- Kouvélakis, Kouvélakis; Palombarini, Stefano (12 June 2022). "A Mélenchon Government Would Shake the Foundations of Neoliberalism in Europe". Jacobin. Retrieved 14 June 2022.
- "Melenchon says French left should form one group in new parliament". Reuters. 20 June 2022. Retrieved 20 June 2022.