Oil from ships and oil tankers can spill onto the sea water and pollute the water. Oil poisons and harms the aquatic organisms and sea birds. The fur of sea mammals and the feathers of sea birds can be damaged by the oil.
The pollution of the environment with crude or mineral oil or their by-products is called an oil spill . Most often the term is used for marine environments, where coasts, lakes, rivers and oceans are polluted. There are three main ways to combat such pollution once it has occurred:
- Use of barriers to limit the pollution to a given zone.
- Skimming of the oil with specially constructed ships
- Chemical dispersion of the oil
- Controlled burning of the oil
- Bioremediation, using microogranisms that consume the oil or oil-related products
An oil spill can not only affect the coasts,lakes,rivers and oceans but also the environment. many animals could get injured and later die without help. Also all the vegetation around could get infected by the oil.
Oil spills can make animals suffer slowly with extreme pain. Also when birds get soaked in oil they can't fly and they can't go in water.