The English used in this article or section may not be easy for everybody to understand.
|English: The Tank Song|
|Music||Oberleutnant Kurt Wiehle|
The Panzerlied (English: "Tank Song") was a Wehrmacht military song of the Nazi era. It was sung mostly by the Panzerwaffe, the tank force of Nazi Germany during World War II. It is one of the well-known songs of the Wehrmacht and became more popular with the 1965 film Battle of the Bulge. It is used in the Chilean and Brazilian armies, but it was banned in 2017 to denazify (remove Nazi ideology) Germany. Modern-day Germany has stopped using it because it was used in the Nazi era.
History[change | change source]
Some motorized and parachute units of the Italian Army sing the song, especially the 185th Paratroopers Division Folgore under the name "Sui Monti e Sui Mar". In France, they changed some of the lyrics to become the "Marche de Chars" which is used by the 503e Régiment de chars de combat. Half of the song was used as a Namibian patriotic song and unofficial anthem under South African rule, called "Das Südwesterlied". It is called "Canção da Tropa Blindada" in the motorized and parachute units of the Brazilian Army. There is a spanish translation of the song used in the Chilean Army. It is used in the Chilean Armoured Calvary and the Chilean Naval Academy as a pasacalle.
The lyrics were changed and used in a Kriegsmarine song.
Lyrics[change | change source]
|Verse||German||Directly Translated English||Singable English|
Ob’s stürmt oder schneit,
Whether it storms or snows,
In blizzard or storm,
Mit donnernden Motoren,
With thundering engines,
With engines a-thundering,
Wenn vor uns ein feindliches
When before us an enemy
Whene'er a foe
Mit Sperren und Minen
With obstacles and mines
With tank traps and mines,
Und läßt uns im Stich
And should we get abandoned
And should at long last,
References[change | change source]
- Nieuwint, Joris (2016-10-18). "Watch: Panzerlied - The Wehrmacht Tankmen's Song (Battle of the Bulge)". WAR HISTORY ONLINE. Retrieved 2019-02-28.
- Panzerlied Chile 2017 at YouTube
- Jennings, Ralph (2017-01-02). "Nazi imagery from Taiwan stems from ignorance, not hate, analysts say". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2023-05-19.
- "Sui monti e sui mar" - Italian Paratrooper Song, retrieved 2023-03-04
- Musique-militaire.fr. "La Marche des Chars" [The Tank March]. musique-militaire.fr.
- "Hinos e Canções". Centro de Instrução de Blindados (in Brazilian Portuguese). Archived from the original on 2020-10-24. Retrieved 2021-02-16.