|The Simple English Wiktionary has a definition for: penalty.|
A penalty is most often a punishment, and may also mean:
- in law:
- in sports:
- getting a Penalty (American football) gets a punishment for your team's rule infraction
- getting a Penalty kick (football)/(soccer) gets a "reward" for the other team's rule infraction, or refers to the tiebreak procedure where there has been no rule infraction, and there is neither a punishment nor a reward. See also Penalty area.
- in Contract Bridge and other card games a penalty can be both an "intra-game" scoring bonus which is not associated with any rule infraction, or an "extra-game" punishment for a rule infraction such as a "revoke".
- Penalty (ice hockey). See also Penalty box.
- Penalty (rugby)
- Penalty (Brazilian sports manufacturer)
- in other sports or games, penalties may be referred to as fouls or faults
- in finance and banking:
- a payment forfeited for an early withdrawal from an account or an investment
- a fee required for missing a deadline or some other violation, as with a tax penalty
- In entertainment:
- The Penalty, a film.
|This disambiguation page lists articles with similar titles.
If a link brought you here, you can go back and fix it so it goes straight to the right page.