Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania
The Perelman School of Medicine (Penn Med), is the medical school of the University of Pennsylvania. It is an Ivy League school located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Opened in 1765, Penn Med is the first and oldest medical school in the United States. Today, the Perelman School of Medicine is a chief place of biological and medical research and education. It is one of the country's top medical schools. The school ranks among the highest recipients of the National Institutes of Health research awards.
History[change | change source]
John Morgan earned a Bachelor of Arts degree from the College of Philadelphia (now called the University of Pennsylvania. He then earned Doctor of Medicine (MD) from the University of Edinburgh Medical School in Scotland. In 1765, after five years training in Edinburgh and touring Europe, Dr. Morgan returned to Philadelphia. There he opened the United States' first medical school at the University of Pennsylvania. He planned for the school to be one of the best medical schools in the country and the world. Dr. Morgan copied many teaching methods from his medical school.
The School of Medicine's professors were known internationally. Some of these were: Benjamin Rush, Philip Syng Physick, Robert Hare, William pepper, and Joseph Leidy. In 1847, a convention of medical doctors started the American Medical Association. The first President was Nathaniel Chapman, a professor at the School.
References[change | change source]
- "University of Pennsylvania". World Digital Library. Retrieved 14 February 2013.
- "NIH Awards by Location & Organization, Medical Schools Only". National Institutes of Health. Retrieved 10 September 2012.
- Carson, Joseph (1869). A History of the Medical Department of the University of Pennsylvania. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: Lindsay and Blakiston. p. 44. LCCN 08007557. OCLC 2340581.
- Thorpe, Francis M. (July 1985). "The University of Pennsylvania" (Magazine). Harper's Magazine. p. 289. Retrieved 19 October 2011.
- Leonard Warren, Joseph Leidy: The Last Man Who Knew Everything (New Haven: Yale University Press, 1998), p. 117
- "Full List of Annual Meetings and Presidents". American Medical Association. Retrieved 2014-03-24.