October 26, 2001
|Latest release||Pikmin 3
July 13, 2013
Pikmin (ピクミン Pikumin ) is a series of video games created by Nintendo that started on the Nintendo GameCube in 2001. It has two released games - Pikmin and Pikmin 2, and it has an upcoming game that will be on the Wii or Nintendo DS. The series is about a spaceman called Captain Olimar visiting an alien planet and working with creatures called Pikmin to explore it.
Characters[change | edit source]
- Captain Olimar - Captain Olimar is spaceman who crash lands on the alien planet in Pikmin and meets the Pikmin species, and has to fix his ship and get off the planet in 30 days, or he'll die. Olimar is a play on the name Mario, Nintendo's mascot, by rearranging the syllables.
- Pikmin - The Pikmin are a type of creature who help Captain Olimar. In Pikmin, they come in red, yellow, and blue types. In Pikmin 2, they also come in white and purple types.
- Louie - Louie joins Olimar in Pikmin 2 and helps him find treasure. Louie is a play on the name Luigi, Mario's brother and sidekick, by using the nickname for it.
- Emperor Bulbax - The villain of the first Pikmin game.
- President - The President of Captain Olimar's company, who sends him to find treasure to pay off the company's debt.
Setting[change | edit source]
Pikmin is set on a world that is supposed to be Earth, but Captain Olimar is very tiny, so it looks like a strange world to the player. The first level of Pikmin looks like Shigeru Miyamoto's backyard. Nintendo made it seem more like Earth by adding common items, like a globe of the Earth, a Duracell battery, and a Pepsi bottle cap.
Gameplay[change | edit source]
Both games use real-time strategy gameplay. The player plays as Captain Olimar, who can command his Pikmin. Olimar gets Pikmin by bringing pellets, a type of food, and bad guys to an Onion, which is the Pikmin's ship. Pikmin will come out of the Onion and get planted in the ground so that Olimar can pull them out. Olimar can use Pikmin to take stuff back to his base, fight insects and other creatures, or travel across places.
Games[change | edit source]
Pikmin[change | edit source]
Pikmin is the first game in the series and came out in 2001 on the Nintendo GameCube. Captain Olimar crashlands on an alien planet, and unites with a creature called Pikmin. He only has 30 days life support, and so he and the Pikmin try to find the pieces of his ship that broke off so he can escape.
Pikmin 2[change | edit source]
Pikmin 2 came out in 2004 for the Nintendo GameCube. It uses the same gameplay, but adds a new character called Louie, two new kinds of Pikmin, and a new type of area called Underground, where Olimar and Louie search for treasure in. It also added multiplayer, where one player can be Olimar and another can be Louie.
Future[change | edit source]
Other appearances[change | edit source]
Pikmin has appeared in the Super Smash Bros. series. In Super Smash Bros. Melee, Pikmin has a couple of collectibles of Captain Olimar and the Pikmin. In Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Captain Olimar is a playable character along with his Pikmin. Music, enemies, and an area are also taken from the series for stuff in Brawl.
References[change | edit source]
- http://www.joystiq.com/2008/07/16/liveblog-from-nintendos-2008-e3-developer-roundtable/ Joystiq Liveblog from Nintendo's 2008 E3 Developer Roundtable
- http://www.gamespot.com/news/6194394.html GameSpot's Liveblog of the event.