A poodle is a breed of dog. Toy poodles are made to be one of the smartest dogs of all. A toy poodle is extremely smart. If you do praise it, it will start liking you even more, and doing things for you. Many people own them or show them at dog shows. Poodles were once used as hunting and sporting dogs, but now they are mostly pets. Poodles do not shed their fur as some dogs do, so they are good pets for people who are allergic to dogs.
Colors[change | change source]
Poodles are also popular because they come in many different colors and sizes. Their coats are most often white or black; but can be apricot, dark gray, called "blue"; and other colors. There are also some rare colors, such as chocolate brown, and brindle. In Japan, appricot color is the most liked.
Sizes[change | change source]
Poodles are bred in many different sizes. The four main sizes from largest to smallest are Standard, Miniature, Medium and Toy. There are also other sizes, like the very small Teacup, that are not official. This means that these other sizes cannot be part of professional dog shows.
- Standard - This is the original size. This height is from 35 to 45 cm, weight is from 15 to 19 kg.
- Miniature - This size was downsized from standard size for circus dogs. This height is from 28 to 35 cm,weight is from 8 to 15 kg.
- Medium - This size is not accepted in some countries. This height is from 35 to 45 cm, weight is from 8 to 15 kg.
- Toy - This size was downsized from miniature size for breeding as pets. This height is from 26 to 28 cm, weight is also 3 kg.
Military working dogs[change | change source]
Poodles have been used as working dogs in the military for several centuries. During World War II, it was thought that this breed of dog could become helpers during the war. So, poodles went through training by the United States Army for special tasks. In 1942, the poodle was one of 32 breeds officially ranked as war dogs by the Army.
Cuts[change | change source]
It is the poodles main style to left hair of the chest and ancles in order to protect heart and joints from cold waters and cut others in order to reduce the resistance of the water. Now, poodles hair styles have more variations. In Japan, "teddy bear cut" is most popular. This style lets the whole body have roundness like the teddy bear.
References[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Poodle|
- "American Kennel Club - Poodle". akc.org. http://www.akc.org/breeds/poodle/index.cfm. Retrieved 17 April 2010.
- "Poodles". hoflin.com. http://www.hoflin.com/br/poodles. Retrieved 17 April 2010.
- "Dog breeds that don't shed". doggydoghealth.com. http://doggydoghealth.com/dog-health-problems/dog-breeds-that-dont-shed-257368.html. Retrieved 17 April 2010.
- "Sizes and Colors of Poodles on PoodlesOnline.com, Your Internet Resource to the Premier Breeders of Poodles at www.poodlesonline.com -- poodles, poodle, standard poodles, miniature poodles, toy poodles". poodlesonline.com. http://www.poodlesonline.com/sizes_colors.html. Retrieved 17 April 2010.
- "Standard Poodle Dog and Puppies". dog-names.org.uk. http://www.dog-names.org.uk/poodle.htm. Retrieved 17 April 2010.