Portia de Rossi
|Portia de Rossi|
de Rossi in February 2007
|Born||Amanda Lee Rogers
31 January 1973
Horsham, Victoria, Australia
|Spouse||Mel Metcalfe (1996–99; divorced)
Ellen DeGeneres (m. 2008–present)
|Partner||Francesca Gregorini (2000–2004)|
Portia Lee James DeGeneres (born Amanda Lee Rogers; January 31, 1973), known professionally as Portia de Rossi (/ /), is an Australian-American actress, model and philanthropist. She is best known for the television work on series such as Ally McBeal and Arrested Development.
Early life[change | change source]
She was born in Horsham, Victoria, Australia. She is the daughter of Margaret, a medical receptionist, and Barry Rogers. Her father died when she was nine. She grew up in Grovedale, a suburb of Geelong, Victoria. She modelled for print and TV commercials as a child. In 1988, at the age of 15, Rogers adopted the name Portia de Rossi, by which she remains best known; in 2005, she explained that she wanted to reinvent herself, using the given name of Portia, a character from William Shakespeare's The Merchant of Venice and an Italian last name.
Personal life[change | change source]
She wrote a book about her battle with anorexia called Unbearable Lightness: A story of loss and gain. At one stage she weighed only 82 lb (37 kg), was eating only 300 calories a day, and taking 20 laxative pills a day.
References[change | change source]
- London Academy of Media and Film TV. "Australian Actress: Portia de Rossi". http://www.media-courses.com/blog/australian-actress-portia-de-rossi. Retrieved 9 January 2014.
- "Portia de Rossi profile". Filmreference.com. http://www.filmreference.com/film/91/Portia-de-Rossi.html. Retrieved 9 January 2014.
- "Portia de Rossi on Ellen". Youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTw1MoscAk4&feature=related. Retrieved 9 January 2014.
- Michele Kort (13 September 2005). "Portia heart and soul". The Advocate. http://replay.waybackmachine.org/20090223013952/http://www.advocate.com/issue_story_ektid20037.asp.
- "Portia de Rossi's Oprah cry talking about the shocking details of her anorexia and how Ellen's love saved her". dailymail.co.uk. 31 October 2010. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1325082/Portia-Rossis-Oprah-talking-shocking-details-anorexia-Ellens-love-saved-her.html. Retrieved 15 February 2012.