Prince Henri, Duke of Aumale
|Duke of Aumale|
|Born||16 January 1822|
Palais Royal, Paris
|Died||7 May 1897 (aged 75)|
Royal Chapel, Dreux, France
|Spouse||Carolina Augusta of the Two Sicilies|
|Issue||Louis, Prince of Condé|
François Louis, Duke of Guise
|Father||Louis Philippe I|
|Mother||Maria Amalia of Naples and Sicily|
Prince Henri of Orléans, Duke of Aumale (Henri Eugène Philippe Louis; 16 January 1822 – 7 May 1897) was a leader of the Orleanists, a political faction in 19th century France associated with constitutional monarchy. He was born in Paris, the fifth son of King Louis Philippe I. He used the title Duke of Aumale. He retired from public life in 1883. He was also a member of the Académie française.
Inheritance[change | change source]
Marriage and children[change | change source]
On November 25, 1844, he married Princess Carolina Augusta of the Two Sicilies, daughter of the Leopold of the Two Sicilies, "Prince of Salerno" and his wife Maria Clementina of Austria, in Naples. The couple had several children, two of whom reached adulthood.
- Louis Philippe Marie Léopold d'Orléans, Prince of Condé (15 November 1845 – 24 May 1866) died unmarried and childless.
- Henri Léopold Philippe Marie d'Orléans, Duke of Guise (11 September 1847 – 10 October 1847) died in infancy.
- François Paul d'Orléans, Duke of Guise (11 January 1852 – 15 April 1852) died in infancy.
- François Louis Philippe Marie d'Orléans, Duke of Guise (5 January 1854 – 25 July 1872) died unmarried.
- Stillborn son (15 June 1861).
Later life and death[change | change source]
By his will of the June 3, 1884, Henri bequeathed his Chantilly estate to the Institute of France. This included the Château de Chantilly, with all the art he had collected there. The chateau became a museum. This generosity led the government to withdraw the decree of exile and the duke returned to France in 1889. He died in Lo Zucco, Sicily. He was buried in Dreux, in the chapel of the House of Orléans.
Titles[change | change source]
- 16 January 1822 - 13 August 1830 His Serene Highness The Duke of Aumale.
- 13 August 1830 - 7 May 1897 His Royal Highness The Duke of Aumale.
Notes[change | change source]
Other websites[change | change source]
Media related to Prince Henri of Orléans, Duke of Aumale at Wikimedia Commons