Qarabağ Futbol Klubu (usually just called Qarabağ) is a professional association football club from Baku, Azerbaijan. The club was originally from Agdam, but moved to Baku because of the Nagorno-Karabakh War. The club plays in the Azerbaijan Premier League.
Qarabağ was formed in 1951, and were the founding members of the Azerbaijan Premier League in 1992. A season later they won their first league championship, which made them the first non-Baku based club to win the Azerbaijan Premier League title.
The clubs plays at the Tofiq Bahramov Republican Stadium, which has a capacity of around 31,200. The Azerbaijan national football team also uses that stadium. They used to play at the Imarat Stadium, but it was destroyed by the Armenian military during the Nagorno-Karabakh War.
The club won their first league title in 21 years in 2014. Qarabağ have won the Premier league four times and Azerbaijan Cup five times. In the same year, Qarabağ became the second Azerbaijani team to advance to the group stage of a European competition after they beat Twente in the play-off round of the 2014–15 UEFA Europa League.
Honours[change | change source]
- Winners (1): 1994
References[change | change source]
- Dövlət başçısı Tofiq Bəhramov adına stadionunun açılışında iştirak edib (fotoreportaj), retrieved 16 August 2012
- Vaxt olmayan yer Archived 2011-07-06 at the Wayback Machine (in Azerbaijani)
- Ermənilərin xarabaya çevirdiyi Ağdamın «İmarət» stadionu (in Azerbaijani)
- "Caqa" ikinci dəfə lotereyada uddu Archived 2011-07-06 at the Wayback Machine (in Azerbaijani)
- Atayev, Oktay. "Qarabağ end 21-year wait for Azerbaijani title". www.uefa.com. UEFA. Retrieved 7 May 2014.
- "Azerbaycan'da şampiyon Karabağ". www.fanatik.com.tr (in Turkish).