Republican People's Party
They are currently the second largest party in the Turkish Parliament, with 132 out of 550 seats and they form the Main Opposition of Turkey. Their founder is Mustafa Kemal Atatürk and their current leader is Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu.
On September 7, 1919, Turkish nationalists established a resistance organisation against the invasion of Turkey. On September 9, 1923, the organisation officially declared itself as a political party and it was the Republican People's Party.
Leaders of the CHP[change | change source]
- Mustafa Kemal Atatürk (1919–1938); known as the "Great Leader and Eternal Chief"
- İsmet İnönü (1938–1972); known as the "Everlasting Leader and National Chief"
- Bülent Ecevit (1972–1980); known as the "Legendary Leader"
- Deniz Baykal (1992–1995)
- Hikmet Çetin (1995)
- Deniz Baykal (1995–1999)
- Altan Öymen (1999–2000)
- Deniz Baykal (2000–2010)
- Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu (2010–present)
Other websites[change | change source]
Media related to Republican People's Party at Wikimedia Commons
- Party official website (English)