Old Phelps County Courthouse
Location of Rolla, Missouri
|• Total||11.3 sq mi (29.3 km2)|
|• Land||11.3 sq mi (29.3 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,122 ft (342 m)|
|Population (2010 U.S. Census Bureau)|
|• Density||1,631.7/sq mi (629.3/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|ZIP codes||65401, 65402, 65409|
|GNIS feature ID||0751949|
Rolla is a city in Phelps County, Missouri, United States, midway between the larger cities of St. Louis and Springfield along Interstate 44. Its population in the 2010 United States Census was 19,559. It is the county seat of Phelps County. The Rolla Micropolitan Statistical Area consists of Phelps County.
Rolla is an important center for education and research in science and technology. It is the home of the Missouri University of Science and Technology.[Note 1] In addition, the US Geological Survey operates a large regional facility. This office includes: the National Geospatial Technical Operations Center III, the Missouri Water Science Center, the Mid-Continent Geographic Science Center, National Spatial Data Infrastructure Partnership Office Liaisons, and the Rolla Science Information and Library Services office. The main office of the Mark Twain National Forest is also located in Rolla.
Although private businesses are more limited, Royal Canin, a major manufacturer of dog and cat food, operates in Rolla. Small-engine manufacturer Briggs & Stratton operated a major plant in Rolla from 1996 to 2007.
The Rolla area is part of the Ozark Highlands American Viticultural Area, with vineyards established first by Italian immigrants to the area.
Notable people[change | change source]
- Monica Brinkman - Local Rolla Author
- Jean Carnahan - former US Senator
- Mel Carnahan - former Governor of Missouri
- Robin Carnahan - current Secretary of State of Missouri
- Russ Carnahan - current US Representative
- Samuel Curtis - American Civil War General (Union)
- James Franklin - QB for the Missouri Tigers
- Kyle Hawkins - former University of Missouri Men's lacrosse coach and gay rights pioneer
- Claire McCaskill - current United States Senator from Missouri
- Shannon Miller - Olympic Gold Medalist
- Tom Shipley - member of popular music duo Brewer & Shipley
- Sarah Steelman - former State Treasurer of Missouri
See also Notable Missouri S&T Alumni
Notes[change | change source]
- The Missouri University of Science and Technology started as the Missouri School of Mines and Metallurgy in 1870 and was called the University of Missouri–Rolla from 1964 through 2007.
References[change | change source]
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. http://geonames.usgs.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Dexter -- Data Extraction Tool". Missouri Census Data Center. University of Missouri. http://mcdc.missouri.edu/cgi-bin/broker?sasdset=mosums&_PROGRAM=websas.dexter.sas&_SERVICE=appdev&path=%2Fpub%2Fdata%2Fpl942010&view=0&ranksteropt=no&quicklook=0&dlm=none&lst=html&dbfile=none&fkey1=Ngeo_id&op1=EQ&value1=608&logic1=and&fkey2=&op2=&value2=&logic2=and&fkey3=&op3=&value3=&logic3=and&fkey4=&op4=&value4=&logic4=and&fkey5=&op5=&value5=&maxobs=&idv=Ngeo_id&idv=GeoId&idv=AreaName&_subtype=+&v=Totpop&varlist=&title2=&subtitle=+&footnote=+&sortby=&_aggby=&_agglvl=1&_grand=NO&_means=&_mweights=&_dropvars=_lvl_++_nag_&rept_byvars=&rept_idvars=&orient=portrait&odsstyle=sasweb&fmtstmt=&renamestmt=&labelstmt=&transby=&transprefix=&transname=&transidlabel=&hasxys=1&haslookupvars=1&hasgeoid=1&latvar=IntPtLat&lonvar=IntPtLon&_y0lat=&_x0long=&_debug=&query=. Retrieved 24 March 2011.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. http://www.naco.org/Template.cfm?Section=Find_a_County&Template=/cffiles/counties/usamap.cfm. Retrieved 2008-01-31.