February 28, 1973|
|Height||6 ft 0 in (183 cm)|
|Weight||205 lb (93 kg; 14 st 9 lb)|
New York Rangers|
173rd overall, 1992|
Toronto Maple Leafs
Ryan VandenBussche (born February 28, 1973) is a Canadian retired professional ice hockey right winger. He played a career total of 9 seasons in the National Hockey League (NHL). He played for the New York Rangers, Chicago Blackhawks, and Pittsburgh Penguins. He was known for his pugilistic skills.
Career[change | change source]
He was drafted with the 173rd overall by the Toronto Maple Leafs in the 1992 NHL Entry Draft. He spent most of his first seasons between the OHL and the American Hockey League (AHL) with the St. John's Maple Leafs, Springfield Indians, and Binghamton Rangers.
On August 22, 1995, he signed a contract with the New York Rangers after he became an unrestricted free agent. After he spent two seasons in the AHL with the Rangers AHL-affiliate team, the Binghamton Rangers, VandenBussche made his NHL debut on December 13, 1996 in a 3-0 win against the Buffalo Sabres.
After 27 games with the Rangers over 2 seasons, the Rangers traded VandenBussche to the Chicago Blackhawks for Ryan Risidore on March 24, 1998. With the Blackhawks, VandenBussche played 263 games over 7 years with them.
He signed with the New Mexico Scorpions of the Central Hockey League (CHL) as a player/coach on November 5, 2006. On January 17, 2007, he announced that he was retiring from playing professional hockey because of medical reasons.
After retiring, he decided to sell real estate with his wife Lisa, and under the direction of his father Ron, in Norfolk County.
On July 3, 2006, VandenBussche was charged with three counts of assaulting police and one count of uttering a death threat after a fight at a bar in Turkey Point. He was later cleared of the charges.
References[change | change source]
- "Rangers - All Time Roster - Ryan VandenBussche". New York Rangers. Retrieved October 8, 2014.
- "New York Rangers at Buffalo Sabres 12/13/1996". National Hockey League. Retrieved October 8, 2014.
- "Trades by the Numbers". Los Angeles Kings. Retrieved September 8, 2014.
- "Penguins sign VandenBussche". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved September 8, 2014.
- "Ryan Vandenbussche - Notes". National Hockey League. Retrieved September 8, 2014.
- "Kypreos, VandenBussche on concussions". Sportsnet. Retrieved September 8, 2014.
- "NHL Alumni Interview with Ryan VandenBussche". The Voice of Sport. Retrieved September 8, 2014.[permanent dead link]
- "Former NHL enforcer Ryan VandenBussche cleared of assault charges". The Hockey News. Archived from the original on March 5, 2016. Retrieved September 7, 2014.